Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

Function First Shift Right Soln

Back in Jan a company named Function-First announced their Shift Right Soln for 98x & 99x Porsches was now available to the masses. It replaces the stock OEM plastic parts in the shifter cradle with machined aluminum parts. They gave $30 off on a group buy on Planet-9. I purchased the Soln but didn't have time until this weekend to install it. Here's my story:

Finally had a chance to install the SRS. Spent Sun afternoon taking the console out (and trying not to break any clips). Got the shift cradle out after work yesterday. Took an hr to break all the snaps off the OEM bushings (defn wear eye protection - those things fly off with high velocity). Got all the new components installed and had to fight the snap rings. Went to the local parts store and picked up a 90deg outside pliers. Still had to fight the rear ring, but got it on with the help of a tiny screwdriver. Reinstalled the cradle and snapped the clutch cables back in. Took her out for a test drive. 1-2-3-4 all feel good. Was on a 4 lane street so I attempt to shift to 5th but it's waaay over to the right. Get back home and adjust the cables again (the bottom of the grooved piece on the cable needs to be in line with the notches on the outside of the receivers). Feels right now but it's 10:30pm so drive it to work today as my next test drive.

Feels more precise and works great.

Very happy with the result. The true test will be going into T12 at COTA in May, where you go from 130 down to 35 and do a 5-4-3-2 downshift. Feel certain this will reduce the possibility of a 5-2 (money) shift.

I did get an airbag light by having the console disconnected. Not a big deal to get reset. Getting the console out (hadn't done it before), fighting the clips off the OEM bushings, and getting the snap rings on were the hardest parts of the DIY. Overall, I'd rate it a 7.5 / 10 because of the 3 things mentioned. But the results are worth it.

I also learned the left clutch cable controls the left-right motion while the right cable controls the forward-backward motion on the shifter.

Here's their website:
FUNCTION-FIRST > Products

OEM plastic shifter parts.

OEM parts removed.

F-F machined alum parts.

F-F parts installed in cradle.

Cradle reinstalled

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-08-2016 at 05:15 PM.
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

Stopped at Woodhouse tonight after work to have the airbag light reset. The SA drove her into the shop and back around to the write-up area. He said it felt just like a cup car shifter.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

Sweet! I have their slotted shift knob, I really like it.

When you go 5->2 do you hit each gear on the way down?

The tracks I go to, Roebling has a 5->3 downshift, Sebring has a 5->2 downshift at the hairpin.

I hit each gear on the way down but I don't release the clutch. I'm not there yet... Have you seen the Leh Keen videos where he zips through the gears like a machine.

Sorry to hijack the thread
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Yes, I do ea gear in a 5->2 downshift. When by myself on the track, I can pay a bit more attn. to the 5-4 shift but when there are multiple cars in front and behind and things are hectic, it becomes easier to do the 5-2 (missed 4) shift. Think this will eliminate that situation.

A 987 has a much improved shifter than a 986. This mod takes the 987 a level higher. Think it's pretty reasonable for $300.

I have not seen those vids but will look them up.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

Look for Leh Keen at Sebring, I think he goes 5->4->3->2->1
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Sweet! I have their slotted shift knob, I really like it.
Steve i have the same shift knob and love it! looks good and has nice texture when you grab it.

hey any idea how much of that new found tightness comes from just replacing the plastic bushings on the 997 shifter?
would that aluminium replacement for the white piece make that much of a difference?
asking because i would be interested but i already have aluminium bushings from a B&M shifter and 300$ would be a bit steep considering i already have fairly new decent bushings.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #7

I would say the majority of the tighter feel is due to the bushings. The OEM bushings have an inner piece made of firm rubber but it supposedly wears / elongates as it ages. Has to cause the shifter of get sloppy over time. The OEM triangle piece is held in place by a plastic pin that probably also wears out over time. The Function-First triangle piece uses a metal pin which would reduce the chance of wear.

If you already have the bushings changed out, you probably have the majority of the fix.