View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
husker boxster

Function First Shift Right Soln

Back in Jan a company named Function-First announced their Shift Right Soln for 98x & 99x Porsches was now available to the masses. It replaces the stock OEM plastic parts in the shifter cradle with machined aluminum parts. They gave $30 off on a group buy on Planet-9. I purchased the Soln but didn't have time until this weekend to install it. Here's my story:

Finally had a chance to install the SRS. Spent Sun afternoon taking the console out (and trying not to break any clips). Got the shift cradle out after work yesterday. Took an hr to break all the snaps off the OEM bushings (defn wear eye protection - those things fly off with high velocity). Got all the new components installed and had to fight the snap rings. Went to the local parts store and picked up a 90deg outside pliers. Still had to fight the rear ring, but got it on with the help of a tiny screwdriver. Reinstalled the cradle and snapped the clutch cables back in. Took her out for a test drive. 1-2-3-4 all feel good. Was on a 4 lane street so I attempt to shift to 5th but it's waaay over to the right. Get back home and adjust the cables again (the bottom of the grooved piece on the cable needs to be in line with the notches on the outside of the receivers). Feels right now but it's 10:30pm so drive it to work today as my next test drive.

Feels more precise and works great.

Very happy with the result. The true test will be going into T12 at COTA in May, where you go from 130 down to 35 and do a 5-4-3-2 downshift. Feel certain this will reduce the possibility of a 5-2 (money) shift.

I did get an airbag light by having the console disconnected. Not a big deal to get reset. Getting the console out (hadn't done it before), fighting the clips off the OEM bushings, and getting the snap rings on were the hardest parts of the DIY. Overall, I'd rate it a 7.5 / 10 because of the 3 things mentioned. But the results are worth it.

I also learned the left clutch cable controls the left-right motion while the right cable controls the forward-backward motion on the shifter.

Here's their website:
FUNCTION-FIRST > Products

OEM plastic shifter parts.

OEM parts removed.

F-F machined alum parts.

F-F parts installed in cradle.

Cradle reinstalled
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-08-2016 at 05:15 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote