Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
UnBoxed

Coolant over flow gauge normal

I recently bought a 2001 Boxster S. I've driven it on several trips over 4 hours each way and it did great. My wife drove it on a short trip that was two hours each way. On her return trip, the coolant light started blinking slowly but the gauge remained just above 180 which appears to be normal. When she pulled into the driveway, coolant over flowed under the car, not from the tank in the trunk. It has the original cap with -00 which some posts indicate may be a problem but if the cap is the problem wouldn't it have over flowed at the cap? Why would the gauge read normal and it still over flow? Any suggestions on where to purchase Porsche coolant other than the dealer? Any help is appreciated!

unboxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #2

Coolant under the engine area could be the water pump. This can start as a drip and progress to a gusher. It can leak quite a bit before tripping the sensor light. There are several threads on coolant. Basically any high mileage (Organic Acid Technology) is okay.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #3

Water Pump is one possibility, another is that the coolant tank relief/burp valve under the plastic shield that fits around the Oil & Coolant caps.

If you remove both caps you can lift the shield off and look for evidence of moisture in this area.

If the coolant is overfilled that pressure release valve will release the extra coolant there and it will run down the drain tube and land just inside and near the front of the passenger rear tire.

My 01 S spewed water when parking after I had topped up the coolant tank the day before. I must have overfilled it.

Now when cold I make sure it is no more than half full in the coolant tank to avoid that issue.

Since your coolant light is blinking slowly, indicating it needs more coolant its more likely the Water pump.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-29-2016 at 10:55 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

First, don't panic!
A slowly blinking coolant light reflect low coolant level, not a high temp problem. Your car will vent coolant from the tank right in front of passenger rear tire.

After your car has cooled, check your coolant level in the overflow tank. Add distilled water to the midway level in the tank. If you fill to max it will overflow again.
Second, treat yourself to a .04 cap!

I remember this happening to my car shortly after I bought it in 2008. I had return to work after lunch and a coworker came in and informed me my 'new' car was puking.

All I could see was $$$$.

Turns out, no biggie!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote