986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spring is Coming (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60572)

gpope 02-25-2016 12:09 PM

Spring is Coming

Spring is coming and I am getting the itch to pull the Boxster out of storage. Up here in MA we have not had a lot of snow at all so the streets are not littered with sand so I am thinking next weekend is a good weekend to pull it out and start some maintenance. Anyone out there have a date they have generally pulled their Boxster out of winter storage\hibernation?

jdraupp 02-25-2016 12:27 PM

Usually middle of March or late March. We just got hit with 16 inches...so not quite there.

grc0456 02-25-2016 12:31 PM

I'm in MA too, grope. I just got my Box in Sept so I really couldn't bear not to drive it all winter. If the roads were dry and relatively salt free, I took it out on the weekends. I think I may do that each year. The car should be driven. As it was on this warm day [emoji41]

But I'd imagine April 1st would be a good target date most years for those who store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

particlewave 02-25-2016 12:35 PM

Cars are machines, so no need to "hibernate".

I had mine out last weekend for the 70 degree weather, but it's never been stored. ;)

kk2002s 02-25-2016 12:42 PM

I'm getting ready
Sitting in tire shop getting new front tires mounted
Drove them 5000 to far i think
2-2000 mile road trips
Still have much to do
AOS, WP, low temp thermo, Coolant flush, brake bleed

grc0456 02-25-2016 12:43 PM

I agree particle, but its the salt that most in the north fear as these machines rust. But most aren't museum pieces or dainty flowers. Drive 'em I say.....just not when a lot of salt is present for me.

ExtremeV 02-25-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grc0456 (Post 485042)
I'm in MA too, grope. I just got my Box in Sept so I really couldn't bear not to drive it all winter. If the roads were dry and relatively salt free, I took it out on the weekends. I think I may do that each year. The car should be driven. As it was on this warm day [emoji41]

But I'd imagine April 1st would be a good target date most years for those who store.

I took mine out last weekend the one day of nice weather we had for some detail work. I have a few upgrades to install before spring. Have you joined out Taunton Cars and coffee meet ups? You should because more Boxster's the merrier.

This weather is a tease hahaha.. congrats on the Boxster purchase

grc0456 02-25-2016 12:48 PM

No, I joined NER PCA, but haven't been to Cars and Coffee yet. Hope to, though. Going to new member meeting, and a detailing workshop in April. And to Blue Ridge Boxster Summit in June. Can't wait!

particlewave 02-25-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grc0456 (Post 485046)
I agree particle, but its the salt that most in the north fear as these machines rust. But most aren't museum pieces or dainty flowers. Drive 'em I say.....just not when a lot of salt is present for me.

I don't drive on heavily salted roads, but that hasn't been an issue for the last 3-4 years as winter seems to have left the Midwest (Kansas City).
We had one decent snow here this winter that required salt and it rained for a few days shortly after, so that salt was washed away.

A few winters ago saw no snow at all :eek:

Giller 02-25-2016 01:53 PM

Myself, I'm not really worried about the salt - but one of the reasons I bought this car is because it's a convertible. Cars only have so many KM's in them - I don't want to waste KM's with the roof up. Rather wait till the nice weather so I can max out my top down driving.
My wife won't let me get another one of these anytime soon, so I have to make sure this one lasts!

Fintro11 02-25-2016 03:58 PM

I drive mine year round, The only thing i don't like is all the grit on the road ends up giving you more rock chips :(

gpope 02-25-2016 04:45 PM

I am coming from a Sport Bike and it was just first nature and the salt is horrible. I have only had the Boxster since August so I cant wait to get back in it. Sounds like the real cold weather is out of the way.

grc0456 - I am going to the same event at UCC so I will see you there.

grc0456 02-26-2016 02:26 AM

Cool, gpope. I was wrong - it's on 3/19 - not in April. We won't have too far to go that day :)

soxfan1966 02-26-2016 03:48 AM

I also took my Boxster out for a quick spin last Saturday when the temps hit the mid-50's (far cry from last winter when my car was buried under 3+ feet of snow).

Where / what is this event on 3/19 you refer to? I am from Central MA myself and a gather of local Porsche enthusiasts sounds interesting.

gpope 02-26-2016 04:04 AM

Ucc

Soxfan,

Unique Car Care is putting on a detailing seminar in March from 10-2 I think for PCA members. They are local detailing shop here on the north shore. I used to drive by them all the time before they moved, they definitely work on some high end cars. Hopefully it will be a nice day and the top can come down.

GRC - it will be a short trip for sure!

jotoole 02-26-2016 04:37 AM

I drive mine year round unless more than a couple of inches of snow are expected, because of 4" ground clearance. The Boxster is a very well balanced car, handles very well on slick roads.

Wallace River 02-26-2016 04:39 AM

Living on a dirt road in Nova Scotia means no road trips until May, when I can get out to pavement without completely mudding up the car. Sigh.

grc0456 02-26-2016 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxfan1966 (Post 485092)
I also took my Boxster out for a quick spin last Saturday when the temps hit the mid-50's (far cry from last winter when my car was buried under 3+ feet of snow).

Where / what is this event on 3/19 you refer to? I am from Central MA myself and a gather of local Porsche enthusiasts sounds interesting.

You'll need to register with NER PCA. I think there is a limit to how many of us they want in their shop.

Myoung73 02-26-2016 07:15 AM

I'm from central MA too (Shrewsbury). Have the box stored since late December, but now itching to get it out a little earlier than anticipated (was thinking around April 1). Hoping maybe next weekend.

Xpit77 02-26-2016 07:20 AM

All year round DD. It`s not Concourse quality and runs like top so why let it sit ? http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1456503626.jpg