Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Intro and a few questions...

Hello everyone:

My name is Gonzzo and I'm a life long Porschehollic.

Long story short.

I have the opportunity to take over a 1998 boxster, low miles, has a TPC supercharger installed.

This is a Kalifornia car so smog cert is a pain.

My question:

What are my Kalifornia legal options for an engine transplant?.

I might want to pitch the SC but want to know what can be shoehorned in there.

All advice is welcomed! .

Thank you for your time.

gonzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:32 AM   #2

Garage
How do you know it won't pass smog? The 2.5 with a supercharger would be one of the best options...it's the one that's in there after all. If you use the forum search function you'll see where engine swaps have been covered many times. My advice is to drive the car first. You may not need more power.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #3

Garage
You may already know, but it's the sellers responsibility to pass the smog test for owner transfer. The supercharger may not be CARB certified making it difficult if not impossible to pass. You could just remove it to pass smog or the best solution is to install a 1999 911 3.4L engine which is a direct swap. (engines are the same size externally, actually smaller without a SC.)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #4

Hi jd:

It's not about more power. I drove the car for years, it is one of my father's cars. It passes smog just fine, the problem is that the SC can be a bit of a pain some times. Spark plug service requires removal of a lot of tubing, in addition, I was never able to line up the SC, so on some "spirited" maneuvers it can contact the lower right suspension and send a chilling grind sound across my teeth.....I have gotten "most" of this issue resolved, but it's still in the back of my head.

More than anything, I wanted to know what people in California have done as far as transplants, I am far removed from the new laws and wanted to cheat a little by asking here.

All together, the SC will stay in place for a while, but, it's always good to know all your options.

Thanks for the advice! .....
Old 02-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

BYpeodriver:

Thats the information I was looking for, thank you.

Now for a little twist, to transplant a 6spd transmission, it would have to come out of an S model Boxster, correct?.

Thanks for your time! .....