Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #1

Garage
Litronic Headlight repair

I recently picked up a set of used Litronic headlights. The driver side is fine aside from some yellowing of the lense. Passenger side is another story. I found the lens assembly separated from the adjuster side gimbal. The problem is the previous owner attempted to adjust the vertical axis in this condition. They ran the vertical mechanism up against the adjustment right angle drive and separated the lower adjustment screw. I now have two questions. First is how does the auto level motor disconnect from the lens connection? Motor is below the white transformer module in picture. Second does anyone have a broken right side headlight I could get the adjustment parts from? My initial repair attempt is to not separate the lens....yet. Might have to but I think I can do this without going that far. I have so far backed off the vertical adjuster and reattached the gimbal. Headlight is great except cannot adjust the vertical adjustment from the outside. Any advice from those who have disassembled a headlight is much appreciated. Thanks

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

The motor attaches to the mechanism with a ball and socket joint. I had to swap out a motor and if I recall correctly I had to remove a couple of screws and carefully pull on the motor. It just popped out of the socket. Then, the good motor just popped in with some gentle pressure. I remember thinking that it couldn't be that easy, but it was.

I have a busted litronic headlight body. This is what it looks like with the cover off. If you cannot see what you are looking for, let me know what you need to see and I can take a better photo.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #3

Garage
That's exactly what I'm looking for! Is that adjuster intact with both screws rotating? I also see the attachment for the auto level motor. I attempted to pull the motor off but didn't want to pull too hard, doesn't seem right thing to do. As I pulled there seemed to be a white plastic lever that appeared to lock the ball into place. Detailed pictures of the adjuster mechanism and how it is assembled to the frame and the mount for the auto level socket connection would be much appreciated. Too bad it's not the other side if the adjustment mechanism is in good shape I would be interested in that piece, Although it would make a good cadaver to dissect. Thanks Kevin
Old 02-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

It's snowing here today, so I'm stuck at home even though I have the day off. At least it provides an ideal opportunity to help a fellow Boxster owner.

Here are some more pictures of the internal parts of the headlight:

Here's the adjustment motor showing the ball portion of the ball and socket joint:

This light is from a wreck and from what I can tell the light was pushed backwards into the car by the force of the accident. It didn't harm the lens, but the back of the light was broken. Unfortunately, many of the internal parts of this light were smashed into a pile of broken plastic, so a lot of the parts just aren't there. I checked the operation of the adjustment mechanism and it appears to be working.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 02-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #5

Garage
Sorry about the weather....It's 80 deg here today. Had the boxster out and played a round of golf. Thanks for the pictures. Would you be interested in parting with that headlight part?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Would you be interested in parting with that headlight part?
Sure - Do you want the entire headlight body as shown in the picture or just the adjuster mechanism?
Old 02-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

Garage
The entire broken housing. I would like to see how that mechanism is disassembled and if it can be repaired. According to the searches I've done it can't be repaired. I'm not so sure.Thanks

Last edited by 911monty; 02-15-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 02-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #8

OK - Let me see if I can find a box for it. I'll need to estimate shipping cost before I can provide a price.