Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #1

Convertible top cover

I noticed the lines on my top cover are off a bit. Can I adjust the cover? It still opens and closes fine. It seems to be a bit more to the drivers side.
Thanks,
David

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Check the tension cables.
One might be off.
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

Tensioners are on tight. The line on the back edge is good. The drivers side gap is ok but not perfect. On the right, it widens as you go from back to front. I am not sure if this is new or I just never noticed. I would be surprised if I hadn't noticed before. Is it possible the track is loose. It seemed tight. I am stumped.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

I think I need to move the plastic convertible top link covers so I can see what is happening right before it shifts inward. Anyone know the trick to removing? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

Has anyone had this problem? Is there anyway to adjust the lid with washers?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
I think I need to move the plastic convertible top link covers so I can see what is happening right before it shifts inward. Anyone know the trick to removing? Thanks.
if you're referring to the "banana shaped" plastic covers to remove them put the top in service mode and just pull inwards to the car on the bottom side of the cover a little bit then pull up, it has a couple of metal "clips". it will come off easily.

i have a similar issue where the gap on the driver's side is larger but it closes well so i gave up on perfection although it does bother me to see it. if you do figure something out i am interested

a suggestion i have is checking the length of the plastic rods(red or white color, depending on the year) that connect the top frame to the top transmission, that is really the only adjustable part of the convertible mechanism and since both the top frame rod and the top cover (clamshell) rod are connected to the same V shaped transmission "arm" it might affect its final position.
i might be completely off though so dont hold it against me

be careful playing around with the top mechanism or adjusting it, you might get it out of sync and then it wont close properly, it's pretty easy to do that.

good luck and keep us posted!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
if you're referring to the "banana shaped" plastic covers to remove them put the top in service mode and just pull inwards to the car on the bottom side of the cover a little bit then pull up, it has a couple of metal "clips". it will come off easily.

i have a similar issue where the gap on the driver's side is larger but it closes well so i gave up on perfection although it does bother me to see it. if you do figure something out i am interested

a suggestion i have is checking the length of the plastic rods(red or white color, depending on the year) that connect the top frame to the top transmission, that is really the only adjustable part of the convertible mechanism and since both the top frame rod and the top cover (clamshell) rod are connected to the same V shaped transmission "arm" it might affect its final position.
i might be completely off though so dont hold it against me

be careful playing around with the top mechanism or adjusting it, you might get it out of sync and then it wont close properly, it's pretty easy to do that.

good luck and keep us posted!
What are the "banana shaped" plastic covers called, I'm missing one on the drivers side. I need to buy one but I don't know what they're called. I noticed my carpet behind the drivers seat is damp after washing the car, possibly from that part missing.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Please disregard, I found the part, it's just called trim cover or convertible top rod cover. Part # for the drivers side is 986-561-445-02, the newest part# that superceded the old # is 986-561-445-03.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Garage
It looks like they are integral to the convertible roof and not available as separate parts. See the attached pdf.

I suggest you contact woody (itsnotanova on this forum) or another person parting a Boxster to see if you can get it.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote