Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM911 View Post
Your smog problems in that part of the world are indeed legendary! Come back to North America for a breath of fresh air.
Not much a problem for us in Shanghai, I can see the sea from my roof top and breathing its fresh air daily so no worries mate... blue sky nearly every days of the year also.

Bleu sky disappear during morning rush hour tho... you can see a thick smog cloud over those cars, nasty stuff (guess its the same in L.A. and dwtown Montreal anyway)

Legendary indeed, I wouldn't live anywhere else in this country, now that is for sure lolll

> now, back to broken cars

Old 02-04-2016, 05:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
What state are you in?
You can't remove cats and pass smog in CA

IIRC, Raby said he had a stack of CATs for just about any Porsche
You can remove the rear Cats in a 4 Cat system and pass smog in CA.
I just did that last November.

I installed the Top Speed Muffler and rear Cat delete pipes under $500 new, plus you can sell the rear cats and recoup perhaps $100 or so of that as well.

Its an easy DIY install as well.

OEM

Top Speed (Rear cat delete pipe not shown)

This Thread discusses the Top Speed install
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/41683-top-speeds-cat-back-system-installation-8.html

Like some others said though, you could easily find good used parts on ebay and Woody (Itsnotanova "Dismantler") to do the whole job for under $500 for OEM used parts.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-04-2016 at 05:48 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #23

Dont worry to much about the parts that need replacing under the car. You should get a near new suspension when completed.
My 02 s slid off the road a couple of years ago and needed suspension work only, no body damage.
The insurance company waffled over totaling the car. I had my indy do the work, much less than the dealership and it tracks great. Its about who does the work.
I did not need any exhaust work either.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Top Speed (Rear cat delete pipe not shown)

This Thread discusses the Top Speed install
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/41683-top-speeds-cat-back-system-installation-8.html
Ahhh - that is immensely useful, mostly because i keep seeing these aftermarket exhausts and wondering why they are bare pipes at the end - thinking they are a weld-in affair, which i'm sure the dealership would rather avoid - but that makes much more sense.

On a similar note, i am looking for the PSE exhaust if it is available, mostly because its OEM and the dealer will likely be doing the install and i wont be there to fend off any gripes. I got a quote from a dealer saying it would have to come from germany with a ticket of over $3300 - is there anybody who retails/stocks them independently in the US?

Otherwise I think I am likely leaning towards the Dansk exhaust as it is quietest/closest to stock but with a little bit of growl.

ol doc gully is offline   Reply With Quote