Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 04:49 AM   #1

Help fans (none) working

Would really appreciate some help. My 2000 986 hasn't been driven for a year. Popped new battery in and fired up first time. However none of the fans are activating. I have bled the cooling system. The problem remains. Thanks to anyone who can help.

jonny the fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

1) Do both the fans come on with the air conditioning?
2) Have you checked the fuses: C8 = RH side fan & C10 = LH side fan.
3) A possible cause could be the 2 x ballast resistors mounted under the front bumper just ahead of the wheels. they look like an aluminium tube and control the fan speeds - though both going out simultaneously is questionable.
4) If you have a Durametric scanner you can activate the fans on low & high speed.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

Thanks for this. Not technically gifted! Fuses are ok. Turned aircon on but can't hear anything whatsoever. I haven't checked relays but can't understand why there would be multiple failure. Suppose the car has been laid up a while but I will check them in any event. Very strange!
Old 02-02-2016, 03:52 AM   #4

Garage
if they don't come on with the A/C. I would check fuses and relays if not probably fans. My right one was completely dead and left one only on high speed. replaced both fans all was good.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny the fox View Post
Would really appreciate some help. My 2000 986 hasn't been driven for a year. Popped new battery in and fired up first time. However none of the fans are activating. I have bled the cooling system. The problem remains. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Check and confirm that the ignition switch return spring is working.
mcdandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Thank you all for your contributions. I will be using your info to try to resolve this issue at the week end. How do I check the ignition switch return and how does this affect the operation of the fans? thanks again