Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #61

Garage
Jake, thanks for your input.

Do you have any thoughts on where this metal disk might have come from in the engine, if it did actually come off of part of the engine? I know engines in general but I am not overly familiar with the M96 engine.

It seems that a piece of this shape could not have come from rod or crank bearings, nor does it really look like something that could have come off the timing chains.

I am really wondering if this metal disk was left over from some manufacturing process, although it does appear that it was sheared in half.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #62

Garage
Could it be the end of the oil pressure relief piston? Might pull it to check.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #63

Garage
Here is an update to my IMS replacement saga.

I finally got everything done and started driving the car a week ago. Last weekend I put 100 miles on it and decided to change the filter and see what was going on in the engine. I did expect to find metal in the filter as there was so much in the IMS tube when I removed the old bearing. (BTW, the old bearing was intact but wobbly and had been shedding metal into the engine).

Here is a pic of the rag I was using to swab out the IMS tube.

As expected, there was a lot of metal in the filter when I cut it open. I am glad I chose to go to a non-bypass filter and magnet setup. All of this may have been captured in the first few minutes of running the engine after putting it back together.

I put on a new filter last Sunday, topped off the oil and drove it another 400 miles this week. This morning I cut open the second filter. I have been sweating this moment all week, but I am pleased with what I found.

No visible metal in the filter or oil!!!!!

The filter mag did trap a little more metal flour, but that is really all could find. There were a few tiny black bits of non-ferous material, probably from the chain tensioners.

I know my engine has been compromised by the failed IMS bearing and this will undoubtedly shorten its life. But, at this point, it is running very well and sounds great. Hopefully I can get another 20K or 40K miles out of it, fingers crossed.

Also, here is a pic of the filter opener I bought. Nice tool! Opens them like butter!

I will be driving the boxster to work most of next week as I intend it to become my alternate daily driver.

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote