Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomtom View Post
I wonder if this has been sorted out.

Same "Did not receive the correct number of bytes from the control module" error message here with Durametric Pro on a 2001 Boxster S

Thanks
Tried again to create and send a log to Durametric and sometimes it said "OBC is already enabled". Other times it just threw the usual "Didn't receive the correct number of bytes ..." error.

Exactly the same as what happened to littlewiggler.

Durametric said my OBC is enabled but why can't I use it then? I've done all the wiring and keep pressing all the buttons.

ttomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Tried again to create and send a log to Durametric and sometimes it said "OBC is already enabled". Other times it just threw the usual "Didn't receive the correct number of bytes ..." error.

Exactly the same as what happened to littlewiggler.

Durametric said my OBC is enabled but why can't I use it then? I've done all the wiring and keep pressing all the buttons.
Just to make sure my wiring is correct.

I wired buttons to terminals 21, 22, 23, 24 of the grey connector on the back of the instruments cluster. These should be shorted to ground to navigate in the OBC menu.

As my new instrument cluster is the new version with the digit speedo in the left gauge I think these are the correct pins.

Can someone please confirm this.

The old cluster's wiring should be 20,21,22,25. My car was registered in 2000 but according the VIN it is 2001 and has the newer cluster.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes. 2001 and up OBC controls are on the gray connector.

21 = lever front
22 = down
23 = up
24 = lever back
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yes. 2001 and up OBC controls are on the gray connector.

21 = lever front
22 = down
23 = up
24 = lever back
Thanks. Definitely not enabled then. No idea how to make Durametric really enable it.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #25
Reebuck1

Garage
Dme

Have you re-programed your DME or installed a 996 gauge cluster?? If so, the Cars original program must be loaded into the DME then turn on your dash computer and then re-install the DME program you want to run your car with..
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuck1 View Post
Have you re-programed your DME or installed a 996 gauge cluster?? If so, the Cars original program must be loaded into the DME then turn on your dash computer and then re-install the DME program you want to run your car with..
Thank you but no I have the original 986 gauge cluster and no I haven't reprogrammed the DME. I don't know if a previous owner has done that. Can it be checked?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #27

Tried with a different laptop running a different OS today. Same result: "Didn't receive the incorrect number of byte ..." 20 times "OBC already enabled" 3 times and a new one that others here also had "coding failed" or something similar. I'm sure it does not do anything except throwing random error messages.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #28

I finally got mine working by taking it to the dealer. He had to reprogram using PWIS.
littlewiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewiggler View Post
I finally got mine working by taking it to the dealer. He had to reprogram using PWIS.
Thanks, littlewigger.

Here's how mine just started working:

As the tech guys at Durametric analyzed the rare OBC is already enabled message between the lot of error messages and said that based on one byte in the response from Durametric my OBC was clearly enabled, I disconnected the battery to check the wiring once again.
Once it was reconnected my buttons started working. Porsche is just like Windows lol. Needs to restart when nothing else helps.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #30
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, littlewigger.

Here's how mine just started working:

As the tech guys at Durametric analyzed the rare OBC is already enabled message between the lot of error messages and said that based on one byte in the response from Durametric my OBC was clearly enabled, I disconnected the battery to check the wiring once again.
Once it was reconnected my buttons started working. Porsche is just like Windows lol. Needs to restart when nothing else helps.
Never heard that one before. Glad you got it working
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Never heard that one before. Glad you got it working
Thanks, it's me. Unexplainable and zero probability events that never ever happen to anyone else keep happening to me daily. I'm a technical jinx, spending day and night fixing all the gadgets around me. People on forums usually don't even understand my problem because they can't imagine what I describe can happen. Even the simplest things can fail for me.

Last edited by ttomtom; 09-08-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #32

I had some issues having the CC turned on and found that the missing part was entering the "Order Code". It was in the DME/Vehicle Data/Order Type until that was put in the PST2 would not activate the CC in the cluster. I don't know if OBC is the same but it might be worth seeing if it is.

achillies is offline   Reply With Quote