Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

Various different 986 drive shafts

I've got a 986 Boxster S and i'm fitting a 987 Boxster S (3.2) transaxle as part of my engine swap. The 986 shafts I have are equal length, the 987 has unequal length shafts.

I've got a set of 987 shafts but they are no good, they don't have the abs ring and the flange is different. Measuring from the end of the shaft to the inside of the drive shaft flange (not including the bevelled end) the 987 shafts are 715mm and 665mm. The 987 shafts are also considerably larger in diameter, they are 34.5mm and my 986 are 27.5mm. I'm having clearance problems on alloy suspension cradle so the smaller diameter 986 shafts are preferable. Anyone know if the 986 are solid and the 987 are hollow?

I would look at just changing the ends around between them but it looks like the outer CV joints aren't replaceable so I guess that's not an option.

What i'm hoping is someone might work in a dealer, break Boxsters for parts or just happen to have a few shafts knocking around they could measure up for me.

It seems like the 986 S triptronic transaxle has unequal length shafts, as do the 2.5's and 2.7's.

Hopefully Porsche make something that'll fit straight on, otherwise i'll have to get mine modified.

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:11 AM   #2

I've found out the 2.7 ones are no good and the 3.2 triptronic ones are too short.

My only other option before getting some modified/custom made is to see if I can swap the hub flanges over from the 986 to the 987 shafts. You can't buy outer cv joints, they are non serviceable. Has anyone ever tried to split one?
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #3

outer cv joints

I had bad outer cv joints on my '97 tip - rather than replacing the whole axle, I had them refurbished by Vertex. They replaced both inner and outer CV joints and installed new boots. They are as good as new. I would give them a call to see if they can help you cobble together what you need.

Good luck-

brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote