View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Escy

Various different 986 drive shafts

I've got a 986 Boxster S and i'm fitting a 987 Boxster S (3.2) transaxle as part of my engine swap. The 986 shafts I have are equal length, the 987 has unequal length shafts.

I've got a set of 987 shafts but they are no good, they don't have the abs ring and the flange is different. Measuring from the end of the shaft to the inside of the drive shaft flange (not including the bevelled end) the 987 shafts are 715mm and 665mm. The 987 shafts are also considerably larger in diameter, they are 34.5mm and my 986 are 27.5mm. I'm having clearance problems on alloy suspension cradle so the smaller diameter 986 shafts are preferable. Anyone know if the 986 are solid and the 987 are hollow?

I would look at just changing the ends around between them but it looks like the outer CV joints aren't replaceable so I guess that's not an option.

What i'm hoping is someone might work in a dealer, break Boxsters for parts or just happen to have a few shafts knocking around they could measure up for me.

It seems like the 986 S triptronic transaxle has unequal length shafts, as do the 2.5's and 2.7's.

Hopefully Porsche make something that'll fit straight on, otherwise i'll have to get mine modified.
Escy is offline   Reply With Quote