Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

making a body kit. porsche purest.. dont look ;)

so theirs pretty much only one wide body kit I'm finding online. I'll make my own . the pics are the very beginning of the project so.. be nice the hump directly above the wheel well is just for hieght, it will get blended out and look less obvious. i do want some curvature up there though. the last couple of pics is the direction i'm heading.... heading, not trying to make it just like those but similar. also planning on an engine swap.

notice how it sweeps back in after the wheel opening.. i love that part lol

compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #2

Very cool.

Would love to hear about the process of how to go about making the molds, templates and patterns. How is the duplicate for the other side of the car made.

Any tricks and tips of the DIY methods.

What materials you use to do the shaping and how to make the finished product.

Please do document the process with pics of your progress.

Did you make that black bumper cover yourself?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Very cool.

Would love to hear about the process of how to go about making the molds, templates and patterns. How is the duplicate for the other side of the car made.

Any tricks and tips of the DIY methods.

What materials you use to do the shaping and how to make the finished product.

Please do document the process with pics of your progress.

Did you make that black bumper cover yourself?
Lots of ways to skin the cat with this stuff. The vette in The background has a wide body i made for it and i used modling clay. I have a kit type car im building in the barn and board foam was used for that. For the porsche im trying something new this time.. Spray foam

Once i get my general shape with the foam and puddy ill coat it with resin and spot it with bondo. Then i will be able to do my glass lay up for the mold. Be easier to show it in pics then explain. I will post up pics along the way. This is the very beginning stages so give me a week or two before the pics get fun

Making the other side is not as hard as you would think. Once you get your final shape its just a matter of making pieces that fit the finished side and holding them up against the other side. I do have a few spcialty tool for mirring as well which i can show later.

I love tinkering with my cars and this stuff keeps it exciting. I know their is always nay-sayers but to me... Life is short and who cares what others say lol my five year old can build all kinds of stuff on his own because of all the crazy projects he helps me with

Oh... No i did not do the front bumper. I purched that and will purchase the rear.

Last edited by compinsating; 01-03-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Sprlling
Old 01-03-2016, 05:40 AM   #4

Cool stuff, will follow process
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

well i'm narrowing down on the look i want to achieve. i think i might be a little to thick rearward(where the fender would meet the door) so i might take that down a bit.

what do you guys think?

sorry, i know its hard to see the detail untill i put some color on it.... coming soon.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

nice shape so far, keep up the work
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

mu ha. last coat of pudy skimmed on for sanding before i put on some poly/resin

mu ha ha. starting on the car, first layer of foam.

mu ha ha ha !!! teaser pic
Old 01-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
Reebuck1

Garage
Where did you find the front bumper and what did it cost...looks great!
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuck1 View Post
Where did you find the front bumper and what did it cost...looks great!
Ebay. I think it was around $600
Old 01-10-2016, 04:39 AM   #10

so cool wow
whitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #11

some pics of the rear and the rims i just bought.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by compinsating View Post
mu ha ha ha !!! teaser pic

Are you putting a supercharged 3.8 in your boxster? That's a real tall motor or are you ditching the supercharger for turbos instead?
Old 01-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Are you putting a supercharged 3.8 in your boxster? That's a real tall motor or are you ditching the supercharger for turbos instead?
I have an ls1,lt1 and this 3.8 on engine stands in my barn. It should fit... Ill make it fit . I plan on ditching the engine cover as well and doing a plexi cover to show off the supercharger.

Last edited by compinsating; 01-22-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #14

Does anyone make an engine adapter for the 3.8? I can't remember, but I think Kennedy has one for BOP bellhousing bolt pattern. 3.8 is a great motor because it's so cheap. Blow it up and you can find another one for a few hundred $$. That will have a nice sound to it when you're done.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 01-22-2016 at 06:38 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Does anyone make an engine adapter for the 3.8? I can't remember, but I think Kennedy has one for BOP bellhousing bolt pattern. 3.8 is a great motor because it's so cheap. Blow it up and you can find another one for a few hundred $$. That will have a nice sound to it when you're done.
Already bought the adapter. Kennedy engineering has never been helpful to me. They never answer emails and the two actual times i got through to them, the old man was as cranky and rude as can be for just asking if they made an adapter for the motor i was building at that time. Not trying to bash them but my experience was they were flat out rude.

The adapter kit i have cost $1530 and includes everything needed.

That motor should sound awesome and make the boxster fly. I should be able to get 350hp to 370hp to the wheels easily with the set up/build im doing. I already have the boxster s tranny for the swap as well. But... But the drive train isnt happening till next winter. This winter im trying to get the body done. Still need to purchase the new top, the one that looks like the caymen on ebay for $3k my hard top is for sale if anyone is interested i will get the email/contact info and post it for the kit for anyone interested.

Thanks for the comments 👍
Old 01-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #16

Nice! Those two CGTs in your first post are some serious inspiration, good catch. Subscribed!

That wide body wouldn't park too well in the skinny parking spaces we have here in Shanghai

Don't rush it, make it well and thanks for sharing in the process man looking forward
Old 01-23-2016, 04:55 AM   #17

I LOVE LOVE engine swaps! I have a 69 F100 I'm hoping to put a 7.3 into. Goal is 450hp and 800ftlb from the motor which isn't too hard or expensive to get from a 7.3. My other project is a mid-engine 911 with an Audi 2.7t single turbo and 01E 6 speed. Goal for it is 600-700hp in a 2500lb car. I've been working on both of those for years now, and neither one is going to be done anytime soon. My current project is a 2000 Boxster S with plans to swap in a 3.4-3.8 Carrera motor. I would love to try something different like you're doing, but I don't think it would be good for my business. Make sure you keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Nice! Those two CGTs in your first post are some serious inspiration, good catch. Subscribed!

That wide body wouldn't park too well in the skinny parking spaces we have here in Shanghai

Don't rush it, make it well and thanks for sharing in the process man looking forward
Thanks. Ya im not rushing it. I have the other toy to drive while i work on this one.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #19

Quote:
I LOVE LOVE engine swaps! I have a 69 F100 I'm hoping to put a 7.3 into. Goal is 450hp and 800ftlb from the motor which isn't too hard or expensive to get from a 7.3. My other project is a mid-engine 911 with an Audi 2.7t single turbo and 01E 6 speed. Goal for it is 600-700hp in a 2500lb car. I've been working on both of those for years now, and neither one is going to be done anytime soon. My current project is a 2000 Boxster S with plans to swap in a 3.4-3.8 Carrera motor. I would love to try something different like you're doing, but I don't think it would be good for my business. Make sure you keep us up to date on your progress.
Sounds like fun. Will do on the updates as they happen. My goal is to have the rear and bumper on by summer. Im rethinking the front fenders as of right now.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #20

almost ready for my final sand and a little detail work then i can start my lay out for the mold.

started shaping the other side. i will show some of the ways i make it symmetrical as i get into it further. to be honest.. a lot of it for me is by eye but i do use some tools for mirroring.

really hoping to have just the wide body and bumper on by spring so i can paint and drive it till next winter when i do more work and the engine swap to it.