Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
2001 Boxster S 6sp

No Outside Temperature readout

A few days after I purchased my 01 Boxster S, (actually 2 months ago) I noticed the OAT probe laying down behind the grille. It is was still connected but not mounted in the proper location. So, it is now where it should be but I have no idea where I should be seeing the readout for this probe? And, it's usefullness. My S does not have 4 stalks. I'm thinking the temp should be showing up right under the odometer somewhere. Having never seen the readout I don't know. Any help?

1969 Morgan 4/4 1600 (PO)
Chboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

You will not see the outside air temp, or any other of the onboard computer functions without activating the system in your DME (requires a Porsche specific scan tool) and either adding the fourth stalk or a suitable switch to allow toggling through the OBC menus. On your car, just activating the system will not show anything without the switch or stalk additions either.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

Activating the OBC will show OAT but you won't be able to access any of the other OBC functions. You can enable OBC with durametric enthusiast version (the single piece of coding you cam do with enthusiast version). You can also enable it with pro version and also presumably the factory Porsche tools.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'll research it, but do you know if the older versions of Durametric can activate OBC (I have a first gen cable)?

Edit: looks like gen 1 cables and version 5 software do not support OBC activation. Oh well...would have been neat, but I can live without it.

Last edited by particlewave; 01-03-2016 at 10:46 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Activating the OBC will show OAT but you won't be able to access any of the other OBC functions. You can enable OBC with durametric enthusiast version (the single piece of coding you cam do with enthusiast version). You can also enable it with pro version and also presumably the factory Porsche tools.
Not on cars built after 2000 model year. On the 2001 and later cars activation without a stalk or switch will not give you any display.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #6

Ahh good to know. I have a 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Not on cars built after 2000 model year. On the 2001 and later cars activation without a stalk or switch will not give you any display.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote