Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Garage
Z-top on ebay

Has anyone purchased (or know anyone who has) a Z-top off of ebay?

It appears to be similar to the Zeintop. Wondering if anyone has bought one, how was the service and product quality, etc?

Appears to be imported by Xtrememotorcars of Houston from China.

Thanks

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

have the link by chance?

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:30 AM   #3

Garage
Yeah, love it when people post about stuff they've seen on eBay, ask questions about it, and don't bother to post a link. Here it is: Z top for 987
Old 12-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

If anyone here does decide to purchase one of these from this seller I would be very interested to know what the final fit and finish of the product is as well.

They claim to have the top for the 986 coming soon. It would be nice to have this actually available once again for a reasonable cost for acceptable quantity.

I find we grade Chinese product quality the same way we grade Chinese food at "all you can eat" buffets. It is a completely different scale. Instead of asking how good it is, we ask how bad it isn't. In the case of the food, if you walk away not feeling too sick it was pretty good. If you buy a Chinese product and it actually works at all and doesn't need to be heavily modified and maintained to operate the very first job you run it on then hey, its not bad considering where it came from.
Nerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

who wants to be a gunnie pig....

Someone with a really good credit card warrantee coverage....in case it's crap.

Then a group of us (in Bay?) try it on a few cars for fit and finish....

then leverage a group buy if there any good.

my car is beaten on eunf already I don't mind some more, before I paint it.

would you pay 2000$ (if it was 80% "ready for paint") in a group buy?
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
If anyone here does decide to purchase one of these from this seller I would be very interested to know what the final fit and finish of the product is as well.

They claim to have the top for the 986 coming soon. It would be nice to have this actually available once again for a reasonable cost for acceptable quantity.

I find we grade Chinese product quality the same way we grade Chinese food at "all you can eat" buffets. It is a completely different scale. Instead of asking how good it is, we ask how bad it isn't. In the case of the food, if you walk away not feeling too sick it was pretty good. If you buy a Chinese product and it actually works at all and doesn't need to be heavily modified and maintained to operate the very first job you run it on then hey, its not bad considering where it came from.
Hopefully this top creates less diarrhea.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #7

I'd buy one for $2K.

I am at the junction of having to replace the Top due to deteriorated vinyl window and an upgrade top sounds like a nice alternative.

However someone still needs to be first and give a review of whats involved to get it to the caliber befitting of a Porsche.
The general shape looks great.

The devil is in the details no doubt.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #8

if i recall correctly this guy ran this ad for years previous. he has a z-top that he got somewhere and kept the ad on ebay to gauge interest - once he had enough interest he was going to go into production. so this might be the same 'market assessment', or it's return might indicate that he finally went into production.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
if i recall correctly this guy ran this ad for years previous. he has a z-top that he got somewhere and kept the ad on ebay to gauge interest - once he had enough interest he was going to go into production. so this might be the same 'market assessment', or it's return might indicate that he finally went into production.
And with only one post by the OP as an inquiry into the product, this may still be part of the assessment...
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

I contacted the guy Jeffrey from Xtrememotorcars.com and he is actively selling these tops.
He sent the Install manual that I will take a look at and will check for one sold in my area and connect me with the owner so I can see it in person.

He has a new batch of these Z-tops coming at the end of Feb and can do $2695 delivered by FedEx Freight.

Very tempting.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 01-11-2016 at 06:40 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #11

Garage
I would not buy a top from China with your money, especially if it has a Z in the name. After all the people were ripped off by Zeintec, Z-Art and the other members of the South African/Swiss/Canadian Boxster to Cayman conversion debacle/scam family, I am amazed that your collective memories are that short. And to think that cheaper is better is folly.

There is only one manufacturer in the world that I would buy a top from and that is in the Netherlands Porsche Boxster ombouwen naar een Cayman-look - MHautomobielen.nl prepare to pay a lot but you will get your money's worth from what I have seen.