Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Bryan

Does anyone have one of these?

I bought my Boxster back in August and the person who I purchased it from said the car had a set of these "Boxster spyder humps" at one time but thought they were long gone until they found them buried in their garage and offered it/them to me. I have a few questions about these which are; 1. do they reduce wind, wind noise in the cabin? 2. what are they worth as I'd like to give the P.O. a token to show my appreciation, 3. since it just snaps off and on; cool or not? (My son is pumped about getting it BTW)
Opinions appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Like the hardtop, there is a certain market for these. Apparently, they use the same spinlocks as the hardtop. If you bought your car from this same fellow, the spinlocks are probably already in your car. If not, the set will cost you about $165 Canadian at the Porsche dealer.
As for the aesthetics, it's a question of taste. Your son thinks they're cool. A bit too batmobile for me. If you sell them, be sure to mention that you will include the spinlocks (which means you have to remove them from your car, or not).
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #3

I have a genuine OEM Porsche set for my Boxster. I bought them from a fellow on Craigslist (no spin locks included) for $450 and, at the time, I thought I got a pretty good deal on them. I would say the typical ask for a genuine Porsche set is around $700 for the pair (with spin locks). Subtract about $100 from that with no spin locks.

Keep in mind that there are reproductions that are available. They were typically about $600 for the pair, without spin locks $500.
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

The humps may marginally reduce wind noise but probably not significantly as they don't block much more of the air recirculation coming over the windshield and back into the cabin than the stock seat windscreens/center screen.

As for looks, beauty is in the eye of beholder. If you and your son like it, go for it. You can always remove it, right? For me, I really like the Boxster Spyder humps that go all the way back to include the trunk lid, whereas this model doesn't flow into the body lines quite as cleanly.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
I also have a set that the original owner included in the sale when I bought my Boxster. They look good, but reduce rear visibility a bit when reversing the car.
They are a bit of a fiddle to install and remove; with the storage bags and all, so it's not the kind of thing I would leave on the car if I have to park it and leave it.
I didn't put them on at all this past summer. Gotta work on that next season.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
ThI really like the Boxster Spyder humps that go all the way back to include the trunk lid, whereas this model doesn't flow into the body lines quite as cleanly.
I would love that look as well. The Box is away for the winter now so I'll have to wait until spring to see how they look on the car. As it turns out, they are OEM Porsche parts and have the spin locks with them. Depending on how much work it is to put them on, I'm sure my son will be driving with them installed all the time. Thanks for everyones advice.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxterity View Post
Depending on how much work it is to put them on, I'm sure my son will be driving with them installed all the time.
Takes about 3 minutes. Maybe 5 total of you use the Velcro straps to cinch down the leading edges to the roll bar. I'd just leave the car in the garage with the humps attached ready for the next adventure.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #8

Hi dxterity,

as you've noticed, this is the Porsche OEM one. It's called Speedster Heck. Porsche code is KAB. You can check if the car was delivered with, if you look at the code numbers under the front trunk. If the car was delivered with the Speedster Heck, i would definitely recommend to keep it.

The original Speedster Heck won't reduce wind noise. It's a styling accessoire. Was an expensive option.

Regards from Germany
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #9

I've got them. Didn't like them at first, but they've grown on me. Kind of a hassle to take on and off and they just barely fit in the trunk. Probably takes less than 5 minutes to install but then again, it takes about 5 minutes. Obviously, you can't operate the top with these in place. Mine's a summer fun car, so they get installed late spring and stay on all summer. Not that there are a lot of Boxsters out there, but it gives the car a unique look. Yes, the real Spyder humps look better, but I think these clean up the rear end a bit by covering the canvas top. I think your red ones look sharp!

Last edited by Gforrest2; 12-06-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #10

I like them

But that is probably because I don't have any, if he is offering take them....you can always sell them

"Wanting is more pleasurable than having."

Spock
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #11

I paid 400 for oem of cl never use the velcro straps
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxterity View Post
I bought my Boxster back in August and the person who I purchased it from said the car had a set of these "Boxster spyder humps" at one time but thought they were long gone until they found them buried in their garage and offered it/them to me. I have a few questions about these which are; 1. do they reduce wind, wind noise in the cabin? 2. what are they worth as I'd like to give the P.O. a token to show my appreciation, 3. since it just snaps off and on; cool or not? (My son is pumped about getting it BTW)
Opinions appreciated. Thanks

Interested in selling them ?
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:55 AM   #13
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
Interested in selling them ?
Sorry, they're not for sale at this point. I'm going to see how I like them before I even think of selling them. If I do, you'll be at the top of my list Xpit77.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:24 AM   #14

Garage
The Humps are the second thing I had to have when I bought my 99 right after I bought the hardtop. I love the way they look on the car! I have had people pull along side of me on the highway, toot and give me a thumbs up. My car is a summer car so when the weather gets nice I put the top down, put the speedster humps on and that is the where they stay until I put the car away for the winter. The aftermarket ones don't have the same hardware. They are easy to put on and off, you need the spinlocks which I bought when I got the hardrop, and they store easily in the rear trunk. You have to remove the center wind screen to put them on. I think putting them in the storage bags is the biggest PITA. Oh yeah the Velcro straps can be expensive so be gentle with them not too tight or they will tear and its off to the Porsche dealer. ENJOY!
Old 12-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #15

Since the car is 15 years old, I'm on a mission to own all the options like this before I can't get them anymore. I imagine I'll never use the Roof Transport System, but I have one. Have the humps, too, and got them painted my color, but haven't left my driveway with them yet. I have a Traffic Pro radio I imagine I'll never install. The hardtop is really a must, as it's a quiet luxury car with it fitted. Probably winter only for me, although maybe if I go on a long road trip somewhere. Still working on finding an '03-'04 top with glass window.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #16

Garage
I have a set on my 98. The car sits in the garage with them installed. They only come off when the roof needs to come up. I don't have the velcro strap and always leave the windscreen in place.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #17
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Have them and use them if there is 0% chance of rain. From my experience they do cut down on wind noise and personally i like the look. Fashioned my own velcro straps and they do assist in keeping them snug to the car.

PS In 2003 these were a $1400 USD factory option.

Last edited by paulofto; 12-08-2015 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added PS
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #18

I had one of these on a previous car. Very cool to have during the colder months. You could turn on the heat and enjoy your top driving.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/44030-fs-factory-canvas-boxster-tonneau-cover.html
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #19

I own aftermarket humps. I used them a lot when I first got them but now they gather dust in the garage. I do not store them in the rear trunk because they slide around on each other and get scratched and dinged up with my spirited driving style and the crappy Houston roads I frequent.

I don't use them because they're a total pain in the butt to put on, and if you're caught out in the rain without some shelter, they're awkward to remove quickly and stow.

But I do put them on the car now and then when I know it will be a totally top down day and I'm not planning to let the car out of my sight. It's a very cool look. Makes me feel like Speed Racer (I know, that dates me and makes me feel really old, but it was a childhood favorite of mine to watch on Saturday mornings!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #20

My vote: no humps for me. Ever.