Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Jgkram

Choose My Boxster

Hello from a soon to be (hopefully) new Boxster owner. I need the forums knowledgeable opinions on my potential buy. I have narrowed my search to two Boxsters and would like to know if one is a better "buy" and why? I will have a PPI done based on the final choice and plan to keep the car. I drive about 7k per year.
Option 1: 2001 with 47k. Service records are unavailable. 1 owner. Looks well maintained and drives well. Basic options for model year. No ims replacement.
Option 2: 2002 with 64k. Service records are available. Bose stereo upgrade. Looks well maintained and drives well. 2 owners. Clutch and RMS were replaced at 50k. No ims replacement.

Mark G Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

A thought comes to mind.

The 2001 just passed its 45k service mark but you don't know if it was done so you should repeat it. Add the cost to your purchase.

The 2002 had its 60 only 4k miles ago and you can verify what was done. May need an oil change based on time even if not miles. Add that cost.

Both need the IMS if you are worried.

You don't speak of the clutch or brake condition. Didn't describe tires and tread depth or age.

Based on the description, PPI the one you like if you can negotiate the right price. Your money, your choice.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

I would go for the 2001 and have a new LN IMS, clutch and water pump put in asap.
I like the fact it is a one owner - although shame there is no service history.
01 & 02 are both 2.7 and very similar.
I purchased a 2001 with 44000 miles and did exactly the above work.
Loving it!
Good luck.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

What's the price point for each?

I always like lower kilometers, but age plays a part two. Really though, pick the one you physically like and PPI it up.

IMS....m'eh. I'm in the leave it alone camp. I'll gamble on the 5% risk.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
Master Brewer

Garage
Personally I'd look for an 03 or 04 S model, more updates and options standard for a few extra dead presidents (worth it). Without knowing the cost comparison and wear items it's hard to give an opinion. Here is some advice. Have an indy look the car over unless you know your stuff. Budget $4K more than you pay for the car to replace the AOS, water pump, low temp thermostat, IMS, clutch and RMS (if needed). Also replace the serpentine belt and coolant tank cap (if not already upgraded). Change the oil filter adapter to the spin on style and use good oil (search the forum). Regardless of your choice, these are great cars that are fun as heck to drive. Pictures are required. Good luck!
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #6

Garage
Year doesn't mean much between those two and option 2 has some nice repairs already done, could be a while before it needs anything else.

That being said I don't think a clutch should go out that early, others can correct me if I am wrong.

Also important. What's the price on each car that could make a difference and have you considered buying an S?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

It puts the Auto Trader in the basket!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sss......
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Everything being equal, buy the newest and lowest mileage Porsche you can afford.

Thus, based on the very limited info, I'd take the 01 based on the much lower average miles per year.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-06-2015 at 03:54 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:00 AM   #10
Jgkram

Smile Choose My Boxster

Thanks for all of the replies guys. This is a great "family" on this forum and I can't wait to become an owner and a contributor. The price point for these cars is only $200 different and they are at $10k right now. I want to move them to $9.5 to $9.8k which I think would be fair. The 2002 owner is very knowledgable and the car sounds really well taken care of. I've decided to PPI it as it had the interior color I wanted plus some maintenance work done that I couldn't verify with the other one.
This is a really tough decision! Would love an S but budgeting for some repairs and a possible ims replacement just pushes me over my range. This will be a daily driver and weekends to the coast for the wife and I so no need for speed. Would love 17k miles less on a car but it's basically the devil you know versus the one you don't. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Mark G Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:44 AM   #11

I sent you a personal message...

:dance:
Brew city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:12 AM   #12

Garage
The service records are huge. Otherwise unfortunately you have no idea what has and has not been done to the car. If you buy the 02 make sure the 60k service has been done and the water pump will also be close to replacement time.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:48 AM   #13

I'd go for one that has had new parts installed and good service records.

The difference in miles will have little impact on its already low value. Most of the depreciation has already take place. Go for what is known and don't gamble on the unknown service history.

Could be that the little old lady that drove the lower miles car on Sunday to church never changed the oil since it was new. It will require a careful PPI to understand its current condition and you still won't know the condition of the internal parts really, even after a PPI since they don't open important things up like that to look.

Probably better to wait for a 2000-2001 S anyways with the dual row IMS bearings.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote