Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
2001 Boxster S 6sp

What will scanning the codes tell me?

I am new to Boxster ownership. I am curious as to what information I can get from having the OBC scanned for codes. Will it tell me if and how many times the engine has been redlined. I am mostly curious about that. Other code history I'm sure would be helpful as well. I am considering the purchase of a scanner. From what I've read here, it would probably pay for itself with the 1st or 2nd scan. Just looking for information on what it will actually tell me. History??

1969 Morgan 4/4 1600 (PO)
Chboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chboro View Post
I am new to Boxster ownership. I am curious as to what information I can get from having the OBC scanned for codes. Will it tell me if and how many times the engine has been redlined. I am mostly curious about that. Other code history I'm sure would be helpful as well. I am considering the purchase of a scanner. From what I've read here, it would probably pay for itself with the 1st or 2nd scan. Just looking for information on what it will actually tell me. History??
Porsche DME's record certain data, including how many times the engine hit the rev limiter. In order to see this data, however, you will need a Porsche specific scan tool like the Durametric system, which can also see and clear codes that other "global" OBD II scanners cannot even see.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chboro View Post
Will it tell me if and how many times the engine has been redlined. I am mostly curious about that.
The Durametric tool will provide the following information;

Operating Hours Counter: 459
Ignitions Range 1: 9768/459h
Ignitions Range 2: 12/418h

This means that the engine has been operated a total of 459 hours.

The engine hit the rev-limiter for 9,768 ignitions, the last time being at 459 hours. So this indicates the engine was red-lined and the last time occurred very recently (within the last hour of operation) since the engine only has 459 hours.

This engine also exceeded the redline for 12 ignitions at the 418th hour of operation.

Each "ignition" is defined as a single spark plug firing event so there will be 6 ignitions per crankshaft revolution. At high RPM (redline and above), it is easy to get a lot of them even if the redline or over-rev was only momentary.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote