Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Nutier than squirel turds

She sits uneven after installing a new strut.

I replaced the PR strut assembly, without issue that I saw, yesterday.

I take it out on the road and the first thing I noticed is that my steering wheel is no longer sitting nice and straight, but the car does not have a pull if I release it.

As soon as I get to a flat surface that I can park on, I inspect what I can see.

The DF corner of the car has an appearance that it had been dropped. And the rear with the new strut is slightly raised.

I've never run into this before with replacing struts so I come seeking experience and wisdom from you fine folk. Thanks in advance!!

Trinamo

Trinamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

Everything being equal and you have installed the rear strut correctly (and there's not a lot to get wrong on installation) the only other part than affect ride height is spring length. Did you measure old vs new struts?

Remember that if you removed / loosened the lower control arm connecting the hub to the chassis, the control arm must be loaded (weight of car sitting on its wheels) before tightening the retaining bolts.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:29 AM   #3

Garage
I would add that usually you should replace these in pairs. You also may need an alignment after replacing suspension parts.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Remember that if you removed / loosened the lower control arm connecting the hub to the chassis, the control arm must be loaded (weight of car sitting on its wheels) before tightening the retaining bolts.

That's what I forgot and screwed up. Easy fix though. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Everything being equal and you have installed the rear strut correctly (and there's not a lot to get wrong on installation) the only other part than affect ride height is spring length. Did you measure old vs new struts?

I'm back. I went back to the car to fix this error and I'm having a brain fart. I'm now not sure of which retaining bolts you're talking about. I removed the strut by removing the caliper, axle at the transmission only and both eccentrics to allow the assembly to swing down and forward to have the clearance to remove the strut assembly. I marked the positions on the eccentrics before disassembly and placed them back perfectly afterwards.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:

Got it! Thanks! Sitting correctly and my steering wheel is straight again! Thanks!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

So I'm not the only one who suffers brain fade......

Good to know you managed to fix the problem, though I'm not sure replacing just one strut and leaving the other side is a good idea for optimum performance.