Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

Thinking of buying a 2001 s the owner has had it for 3 years
My question is the the owner doesn't know if the ims and rpms were done and he says it has the original clutch with 122000 miles.could this be right. The car looks great and he is retired and can't drive it anymore.he is asking 8500.00 but don't know if this is a good deal with no records except oil changes and brakes.would you take a chance at this price or keep looking.thanks Jimbo
Love the forum x Mercedes guy

Jimbo409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

If he doesn't know, that usually means it's not been done. However, a 2001 S can be a great car but everyone here will sing you the same song: "Get a PPI, my dear"! :dance:
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The standard answer is to have a mechanic (indy or dealer) who KNOWS Boxster intimately, do a thorough inspection prior to purchase. Known as a PPI. You will have to get the sellers co-operation and pay the mechanic for their time. Depending on that feedback, you can make an educated decision and an appropriate offer.

The mileage and price are in the ballpark. It is plausible that the car has the original clutch. It is surely on it's last legs, if it is. If it is the original clutch, then the IMS bearing is almost assuredly the original also. Sellers make a point of mentioning that the IMS has been X/O. Do a search and verify, but budget +/- $2,500.00 for clutch parts, rear main seal and IMS. Don't be surprised if they tell you some of your suspension bits need work while the car is in the air.

Find an indy mechanic that will let you supply the parts and save even more. Another thing to consider, how handy with a wrench and a manual are you. This car will require attention from you or a mechanic. There is an amazing amount of DIY help available online.

It is a buyers market in southern California. I would look at as many as you can. Happy hunting. :dance:
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, a clutch could be original even at 122K miles. My wife got 140,000 miles out of the original clutch in her 325i. Of course, she drives like a nun. Or at least how I think a nun would drive. You get my point. And sorry to all of the road racing nuns out there.

Also get a Pre-Purchase Inspection or PPI from a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic. I've used both Porsche dealers and independent shops and they are about the same. This will be the best $300 you ever spend and can save you 10x that amount.

Last, repair records are nice but shouldn't be a deal killer. Most Porsche's are well cared for and the inspection will typically reveal how many repairs were deferred by the previous owner. The more repairs that were put off, the more worried to be. Whereas on the other hand, a well maintained car is a well maintained car even without all of the receipts.

Rex also makes a good point - its a buyers market here in SoCal so if you're interested, get the car inspected and if it comes out reasonably well, then use what is found and the lack of repair records to offer less. The worst the seller can say is no. Don't be in a hurry and take your time.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:37 AM   #5
Project Addicted

A PPI is a great move, but will not tell you if the clutch or ims bearing has been done. It's just not visible.

Our Box has 122k miles and I can tell you there are many small, niggling little things that can be replaced you can go mad and broke fixing them. We bought our car really cheep so we were prepared with a budget and knowledge of what could be coming. We also have the ability to do all repairs needed here at home.

I didn't heed my own advice on his because of the price, but.......

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:59 AM   #6

Garage
I bought mine a 2003 S for 17250.00 CDN without seeing it or trying it just from the pictures the gentlemen had sent me. I hopped on the train went about 400 miles to his place to pick it up and drove it back home without any problems. I had done a bank draft the week before and sent him the money and he had the car safety checked by his mechanic passed a etest and to tell you the truth I think that all cars have lemons and faults. If your gut tells you to buy it go ahead, but if your not comfortable don't.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
I believe the OP is in Tenn, no So Cal, so the availability of local cars probably is not a good.

In any case, sage advice being given
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #8

I did my own PPI on a 2001 S and missed a couple things like Wiper Sprayer disconnected, electric seat recline did not work, but I went over the meticulous maintenance records and you can tell the car was well maintained so I took a gamble.

The fixes to my missed items were a couple dollars so I got lucky.

Also, if there is even a single drip of oil anywhere coming off the car then you should get a professional PPI as there is some issue lurking like RMS bearing, IMS, AOS, sparkplug tubes etc.

A great condition Boxster does not leak anything at all, anywhere. If it does then move on as there are plenty to choose from that do not leak.

At $8,500 its a decent deal, even considering you will spend $3000 replacing the clutch and rms bearing in the next couple years.

Boxster Maintenance is best budgeted at $2000/yr. Much less if you do it yourself of course, and its surprisingly easy to work on despite the mid engine location.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

Great advice. I wonder how many times this has been said on the forum. There should be a tag for it like (cheappcar). That way we all don't have to type it out.