Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, a clutch could be original even at 122K miles. My wife got 140,000 miles out of the original clutch in her 325i. Of course, she drives like a nun. Or at least how I think a nun would drive. You get my point. And sorry to all of the road racing nuns out there.

Also get a Pre-Purchase Inspection or PPI from a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic. I've used both Porsche dealers and independent shops and they are about the same. This will be the best $300 you ever spend and can save you 10x that amount.

Last, repair records are nice but shouldn't be a deal killer. Most Porsche's are well cared for and the inspection will typically reveal how many repairs were deferred by the previous owner. The more repairs that were put off, the more worried to be. Whereas on the other hand, a well maintained car is a well maintained car even without all of the receipts.

Rex also makes a good point - its a buyers market here in SoCal so if you're interested, get the car inspected and if it comes out reasonably well, then use what is found and the lack of repair records to offer less. The worst the seller can say is no. Don't be in a hurry and take your time.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote