Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
What device is that? I had a Nexus 7 in my Jeep, a Galaxy Tab 7 in my Eclipse. And recently just removed a 8in Windows Tablet in tbe Porsche. But I wanted more Powahhhh for gaming and screen size.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
It's a first gen Nexus 7. Works really well. And you can get them used for a great price! I paid $60 for mine.

pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
It's a first gen Nexus 7. Works really well. And you can get them used for a great price! I paid $60 for mine.
We just got this one for the BMW for 130. 2nd gen 32 4glte. We didn't know it was the nice one till after we bought it yesterday.

Are you running the newest version 3 USB ROM? I can't get in touch with Timur and don't wanna pay if we never get software.

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-26-2015 at 12:58 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #23

Quote:
We just got this one for the BMW for 130. 2nd gen 32 4glte. We didn't know it was the nice one till after we bought it yesterday.

Are you running the newest version 3 USB ROM? I can't get in touch with Timur and don't wanna pay if we never get software.

No, I'm not running the USB ROM. I have the setup, in the video below. I use a program called Power Event Manager, that puts the tablet in airplane mode, and deep sleep, when I turn the car off, and wakes it up, when I start her up. Works great, and all the software is free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGD-BlnGo3c
Old 11-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
No, I'm not running the USB ROM. I have the setup, in the video below. I use a program called Power Event Manager, that puts the tablet in airplane mode, and deep sleep, when I turn the car off, and wakes it up, when I start her up. Works great, and all the software is free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGD-BlnGo3c
Oh, try Sony Smart Connect, it's a tad better. Also mated with a very small app called Sleep and, Stay On. I liked event manager because it allows multiple apps to be launched but it didn't work out well enough. That's what I'm using on my Tab S since there is no USB Rom Kernel for the Tab S, I've emailed Timur offering cash for the source code so I can have one of my developer buddies port it over. NOTHING beats it. I understand the Bs paying for it, I don't wanna pay for it, but it's well worth the 16us dollars. I ran it on my 1st Gen Nexus 7 in my Jeep, it's phenomenal on what it can do. It totally turns the tablet into an OEM car radio. Reverse camera, special mods to make it look like it came with the car from the factory.

Were going to purchase it for the 2013 and 2012 since I'm going to do a Fifield install on a G35 after this, guy is going to buy me the Fifield Dash Kit for my Tab S for doing his install. If your interested PM me and I'll email you the newest copy for yours if you Wanna play with it.

I've done soo many tablets lol, GT7", Kindle Fire 7 I was the leader of the OTG charging development, Kindle Fire HDX is awesome and fits the Porsche without any mods or kit, and is super powerful. Dell Venue 8 Pro was fun but not perfect for in the car without a front end.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Oh, try Sony Smart Connect, it's a tad better. Also mated with a very small app called Sleep and, Stay On. I liked event manager because it allows multiple apps to be launched but it didn't work out well enough. That's what I'm using on my Tab S since there is no USB Rom Kernel for the Tab S, I've emailed Timur offering cash for the source code so I can have one of my developer buddies port it over. NOTHING beats it. I understand the Bs paying for it, I don't wanna pay for it, but it's well worth the 16us dollars. I ran it on my 1st Gen Nexus 7 in my Jeep, it's phenomenal on what it can do. It totally turns the tablet into an OEM car radio. Reverse camera, special mods to make it look like it came with the car from the factory.

Were going to purchase it for the 2013 and 2012 since I'm going to do a Fifield install on a G35 after this, guy is going to buy me the Fifield Dash Kit for my Tab S for doing his install. If your interested PM me and I'll email you the newest copy for yours if you Wanna play with it.

I've done soo many tablets lol, GT7", Kindle Fire 7 I was the leader of the OTG charging development, Kindle Fire HDX is awesome and fits the Porsche without any mods or kit, and is super powerful. Dell Venue 8 Pro was fun but not perfect for in the car without a front end.

I think I might have a copy of the 2012 USB ROM, for the second gen tablet, if you want it.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
I think I might have a copy of the 2012 USB ROM, for the second gen tablet, if you want it.
Do you know what release? I'd love that. Would save me some trouble in the future. I should have stayed on top of it but ever expected to mess with the N7 anymore.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Do you know what release? I'd love that. Would save me some trouble in the future. I should have stayed on top of it but ever expected to mess with the N7 anymore.

cm-10.1-20130817-USBROM-grouper
Old 11-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
cm-10.1-20130817-USBROM-grouper
Oh the most recent for it. Yes I'd love it man. If you need just email it to me jagray85@gmail.com. I'll upload it to my cloud to keep.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Oh the most recent for it. Yes I'd love it man. If you need just email it to me jagray85@gmail.com. I'll upload it to my cloud to keep.

Sent. Let me know if/when you get it.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #30

This thread is available under Porsche on Flipboard
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #31

Quote:
I have a Galaxy Tab S 8.4. Used to have a nexus 7 running USB Rom in my Jeep. I want this dash panel because it's flat where the tablets Fifield Dash kit would have to be molded. The 3pc dash panel of the 01 is rounded so molding and sanding is a pita.
I'm positive I'll get it, but I'm changing things to use the Fifield Slidell Dash Kit so I'd rather it just work right.

How did you build this interface?
Old 11-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
How did you build this interface?
That is Kodi using the car PC touch skin and my Porsche design mods like the BoxsterS logo replacing the Kodi logo and the Porsche logo and Porsche backgrounds I designed. However Kodi doesn't work well with Android in car. It was made for the RaspberryPi. When shutting off car, it keeps playing unless it's a video. I've been trying to find ways to mod Kodi to pause/play playback of what it was on with a power event change, but it won't work.