Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2015, 12:30 AM   #1

986 to 987 gen 2

Always wanted to upgrade from my 986 to the 987 as I was not happy with 5 cam chains.So went to the 987 Gen2 and have NOT been disappointed.
The PDK is amazingly smooth but it sure wants to drop it into a higher gear very early.
In auto, around town not uncommon to get into 6 th gear at 60 kph @1500 rpm, sort of contradicts what the engine was all about.
Anyway in manual mode its just incredible, very happy.

howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:05 AM   #2

Garage
In about 5 years I'm doing a similar upgrade but am baby proofing my porsche ownership and going with likely a 997 to have the "but it has a backseat" excuse. Nice car, excellent choice. Enjoy it!
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 AM   #3

If it has the sport/chrono upgrade - you can fix that early shifting with the touch of a button. Has regular (default) and then 'Sport" and "Sport Plus" buttons to encourage a more sporty, less shifting drive.

I drive mine in default most of the time, but when I want to let her loose, I kick it into sport or plus and let her scream a bit.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
In about 5 years I'm doing a similar upgrade but am baby proofing my porsche ownership and going with likely a 997 to have the "but it has a backseat" excuse. Nice car, excellent choice. Enjoy it!
I once baby proofed my Porsche by having a 964 but eventually my daughter head was up against the glass. Doesn't last but buys you time.

I have to agree that 987.2 is starting to look tempting. What bothers my right now is the price gap between a 987 and my 986 doesn't not justify making the move.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I have to agree that 987.2 is starting to look tempting. What bothers my right now is the price gap between a 987 and my 986 doesn't not justify making the move.
I'm looking to make the change to PDK too, tired of all the shifting in LA traffic.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
If it has the sport/chrono upgrade - you can fix that early shifting with the touch of a button. Has regular (default) and then 'Sport" and "Sport Plus" buttons to encourage a more sporty, less shifting drive.

I drive mine in default most of the time, but when I want to let her loose, I kick it into sport or plus and let her scream a bit.
Would have liked like the sport/chrono option but they do sound and go nice when you give it a boot.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:29 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I once baby proofed my Porsche by having a 964 but eventually my daughter head was up against the glass. Doesn't last but buys you time.
Looks like my kids are gonna learn how to slouch.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #8

Nice looking ride. Congrats!

Hopefully you'll get used to fewer squeaks and rattles, the window microswitches working like they're supposed to, window regulators not breaking, wheel bearings and frt bushings not wearing out prematurely, the rear window not cracking or needing to be chopped, the center display going blank, and having useable cup holders. Did I miss anything?

That's a lot of adjustment. Take your time and knock 1 or 2 off a week.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Welcome to the party and enjoy the new ride!

My non sport-chrono PDK strategy:

1. Getting groceries or hauling the dogs- leave in auto and slog around in 7th gear.

2. Spirited canyon carving- Fully manual to keep the revs up and mostly shift between 3rd and 4th with engine braking.

3. Race track- Use the paddles to choose my downshift in auto/manual and just mash the gas on corner exit for perfect auto-shifts at redline all the way to the next corner.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:22 AM   #10

You guys are lucky, our prices are x 2 USA. For the same price we have the choice of:-
2010 Boxster base.
2005 Cayman base.
2001 to maybe 2004 - 996.
997 - 2005 are almost x 2 in price but still a 5 cam chain engine.
So final choice was the Boxster, the dealer was about to whole sale it so was a good buy.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #11

Hello Howard, just seen your new wheels - good to see you are still alive and kicking.....
Congratulations!
Steve
Old 11-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Hello Howard, just seen your new wheels - good to see you are still alive and kicking.....
Congratulations!
Steve
Hi Steve,
Yes still kicking, still kite surfing, still flying, still boxstering,drop in for a cuppa if you come to Brisbane 0466 983 105 or may catch up at a Porsche club event.