Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #1

Stupid question and an Interesting Challenge

Could anyone here explain why a newer Porsche key fob would not be able to be paired with an old 986 immobilizer?

I found this article
How to Install a Start Button | Civic Junkie
and it got me thinking about the possibility of having a true keyless start button in our cars.

Now, my (very rudimentary) understanding is this (and it's probable that i'm wrong somewhere):
The pill sized device inside the key fob is what will allow the car to stay on, but the programming of the immobilizer with the remote is what allows the remote to open the doors and trunk, etc.

So if a keyless start button was installed, and the "pill" was to be relocated inside a newer Porsche fob that was paired to our 986 immobilizer, it could work like the newer Porsche models do now, right? :dance:

Old 11-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Yes, it should work
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #3

Its not clear from what you wrote, but it sounds like you want to have the key in your pocket. The "pill" needs to be right up next to the ignition for it to work.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Its not clear from what you wrote, but it sounds like you want to have the key in your pocket. The "pill" needs to be right up next to the ignition for it to work.
My pocket, in the ashtray...it'll be nearby. How close to the ignition does it have to be?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

If I understand correctly, here are my thoughts;

The linked article showed how to install a generic start button to bypass the electrical key switch. This should start the car as long as the immobilizer pill is within range.

However, don't forget that you will also have to bypass/remove the mechanical key link which locks/unlocks the steering wheel.

Also, you'll have to make sure that the wiring/signal interface between the Adruino start button controller and the starter relay is the same for a Porsche Boxster as a Honda Civic. My guess is that its similar but probably not exactly the same.

I would suggest having someone who is familiar with electronic circuits and programming embedded devices as a helper on this project as the odds are high that you will have to modify the circuit or the programming.

Last, will you need a new Porsche fob? Why not just keep the old one in your pocket (or place it close enough to get the car to start). The old fob can still be used to lock/unlock the car. You could even remove the key shank and just carry the fob to make it smaller and easier to carry.

Can it be done? I am sure that it can. Only a question of how much time you're willing to put into the project.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
My pocket, in the ashtray...it'll be nearby. How close to the ignition does it have to be?
Within inches. There was another post on here about getting a 2nd key without a chip, and he just taped it behind the dash, right next to the pickup.

It works exactly like a mobil speedpass, if you have ever used one of those. (I used to put the pill for that in my phone, and I could pay for fuel, and stuff at the counter by waving my phone.)
Old 11-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
... and he just taped it behind the dash, right next to the pickup.
I have seen this on a race car but never on a street car - especially with a start button!

The problem is that both anti-theft devices (key and immobilizer pill) have been bypassed allowing the car to be very easily stolen. All the thief (or anyone) has to do is get into the car and push the start button and away they go.....
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I have seen this on a race car but never on a street car - especially with a start button!

The problem is that both anti-theft devices (key and immobilizer pill) have been bypassed allowing the car to be very easily stolen. All the thief (or anyone) has to do is get into the car and push the start button and away they go.....
That's what hidden fuel pump cutoff switches were invented for!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A while back, I did a DIY for removing the 'pill' and placing it by the ignition switch: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/56448-diy-making-cheap-spare-keys.html

I plan on doing a remote start on one of my cars, but haven't gotten to it yet. The best location that I found for the 'pill', is where the pencil tip is in the picture below. Simply attach it to inside of the rubber trim that goes around the ignition switch.

That has worked fine for starting and running three of my Boxsters on Audi/VW Keys. I can not verify that it will operate the trunk and frunk, since my spare keys do not have the internal electronics, but is fully functional with the original key fob.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #10

To what exactly does the pill need to be close to? Maybe that can be relocated to somewhere in the center of the dashboard so that by having the key in the cubbie it'll be close enough
Quote:
Within inches. There was another post on here about getting a 2nd key without a chip, and he just taped it behind the dash, right next to the pickup.

It works exactly like a mobil speedpass, if you have ever used one of those. (I used to put the pill for that in my phone, and I could pay for fuel, and stuff at the counter by waving my phone.)
Old 11-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
To what exactly does the pill need to be close to? Maybe that can be relocated to somewhere in the center of the dashboard so that by having the key in the cubbie it'll be close enough
The pill needs to be close to the coil that surrounds the ignition switch. It shouldn't bee too hard to relocate. It has a simple 2 wire connection that leads to the central locking unit under the driver's seat.

Last edited by 78F350; 11-13-2015 at 02:15 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote