Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #1

key stuck in ignition!

Well, I've had the problem for like a week with a faulty ignition switch but I had to schedule an appointment due this friday to fix it and get a loaner. The ignition while faulty would still turn on the car and then I would be able to take the key off.

It is wednesday today and now the key won't come off! I can safely park my car in the garage and leave the key in but does it drain the battery? The radio keeps playing but I turned it off and everything seems off inside the car.

Advice? Will my battery die?

Last edited by aBsOlUt; 05-03-2006 at 09:30 AM.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #2

What a pain in the arse!

I'd say leave it for an hour or so and if your dummy lights are still on, disconnect your battery.

It's totally baffling to me that Porsche would produce such a crappy ignition switch year after year in their cars, knowing full well they fall apart after a short time. Grrrr.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #3

I've just been thru that headache. Yes, it will drain the battery (atleast mine did)! I disconnected the battery, kept the hood cracked open and gave it a hot shot the day I took it to the dealers. A bad steering locking mechanism was the problem which was for me $650.00 (including labor).
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgribben007
I've just been thru that headache. Yes, it will drain the battery (atleast mine did)! I disconnected the battery, kept the hood cracked open and gave it a hot shot the day I took it to the dealers. A bad steering locking mechanism was the problem which was for me $650.00 (including labor).
wow thanks for that! They will cover mine under warranty but I dont want another battery dead!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #5

Hi,

With the Ignition Off, Key removed, the Car normally draws 20 mA. With the Ignition Off, Key in lock, the draw is 600 mA or 30 times normal. This will kill the Battery in short order. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply and confirmation yet again, I have left the car to the dealer and informed him about it.

Also mentioned even if they dont work for the car until tomorrow they should at least remove the key temporarily. I will be not responsible if the battery dies.

All covered under warranty, they did not have a Porsche loaner so I got an Enterprise loaner which is paid by them until my car is fixed.

Thanks for the warnings!