Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Orange and yellow?

While I am still working for a higher act score to possibly get into a souther Ivy, I am currently accepted to Clemson. With a 9-0 football team ranked no.1 in the nation. I'm going to have to find some way to have school spirit on my Boxster once I go on campus next year.

Any ideas?

My car is speed yellow with a black hardtop and idk how to get Clemson colors to work well with that.

(Maybe that's why I am considering Duke blue, too bad they have no undergrad business... So maybe for grad school!)



BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 611
Garage
That's a A Ga Tech colored car. I don't think my employer's colors (Duke) will work with that either. Lot's of employees here accept other school affiliations. I can't can't the number of Carolina fans work here. No one here would be offended by the color of your car.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,602
Porsche owners don't change their car to match the school - the school needs to match the car!

__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Im thinking about a purple tiger paw on the black roof maybe.

Speed yellow is such a good color. But it's hard to match anything with, I feel sorry for the hair dressers that try and match their outfit to their boxster!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Joe B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Posts: 800
Football and rah-rah school spirit are overrated ! Just keep your car the way you like it, and focus on getting a good education!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Retroman1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Football and rah-rah school spirit are overrated ! Just keep your car the way you like it, and focus on getting a good education!
Yeah, I'm pretty much in this camp here.
__________________
"Remember, I'm pulling for ya! We're all in this together."
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 447
Consider ISyE at GaTech then MBA from Duke, then write your ticket.
Friend finishing BS at GT 20 yr ago turned down $60k (!) starting salary when Harvard business sent a plane ticket and interview date for business school, with a note essentially offering a full ride. Didn't believe him til he showed me.
If you do undergrad "business" it will be hard to distinguish yourself from every other tool of a business major intent on distinguishing themselves.
The yellow and black will work for Tech (close enough) and nobody at Duke will care unless Tech starts beating them in basketball. But either way, you better find a safe place to park it.
Just my 2 cents...
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty much in this camp here.
Yep, unless you're 6'6" with a quick 40 yard dash time, pretty sure Clemsons football program isn't going to help you much after graduation. Go with the programs that are winners and the ones that will get you the experiences you need to land a career not just a job.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Yep, unless you're 6'6" with a quick 40 yard dash time, pretty sure Clemsons football program isn't going to help you much after graduation. Go with the programs that are winners and the ones that will get you the experiences you need to land a career not just a job.

I never cared for their football until after my acceptance.

They're just the most prestigious public school in the south based on how hard it is to get in from the employers I know.

I'll know what my scores on my second act are soon though which can get my
Clemson honors or maybe unc chapel hill.

Current plan is marketing with a (required minor) in management. Then I think I actually have time for a double major in economics. From there it's my choice to try for law school or an MBA. As well as try the job market. Clemson seems to have a great alumni network in the southeast with well regarded career services. So it's good to have some options.

Just tough to make decisions!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I never cared for their football until after my acceptance.

They're just the most prestigious public school in the south based on how hard it is to get in from the employers I know.

I'll know what my scores on my second act are soon though which can get my
Clemson honors or maybe unc chapel hill.

Current plan is marketing with a (required minor) in management. Then I think I actually have time for a double major in economics. From there it's my choice to try for law school or an MBA. As well as try the job market. Clemson seems to have a great alumni network in the southeast with well regarded career services. So it's good to have some options.

Just tough to make decisions!
I know someone who works at Clemson. She deals with all student programs. Speaks very highly of the school and area. You'd do fine there, just like I said make sure you get as much as you can out of the experiences offered to you. You'll have more to talk about in a job interview if you are involved in a bunch.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I know someone who works at Clemson. She deals with all student programs. Speaks very highly of the school and area. You'd do fine there, just like I said make sure you get as much as you can out of the experiences offered to you. You'll have more to talk about in a job interview if you are involved in a bunch.

That's the number one thing I have heard from everyone.

Get your money's worth.

Pursue internships. Use the resources provided. Try and get out in 4 years.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
That's the number one thing I have heard from everyone.

Get your money's worth.

Pursue internships. Use the resources provided. Try and get out in 4 years.

You bet Jake. Internships are worth their weight in gold especially if you get an internship where you are doing a lot of hands on work. Then you go into an interview and talk about doing the job you're interviewing for? The job is as good as yours.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #13
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Good news! I got my scores back for my second act.

33 with a 36 being perfect score. Which is similar to a 1460 sat.

This brings my aid up from 6k a year to 12.5k a year for a Clemson. Most good public schools would be about the same.

I could go to a really large school like Alabama for free tuition.

With this I will definitely be doing honors college if I stay in state, which will allow for great travel and research grants.

This means I also may have the leverage to afford out of state tuition to a prestigious university. It's amazing how much one little test matters.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #14
Registered User
 
RedTele58's Avatar
Big Jake - you rock!

Way to go!
__________________
I think I have a Porsche problem...
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
CEL P0306
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 122
Garage
Well done. Don't repeat my mistake: sold a '63 356B (back in '88) to stay in school. Still hurts. In any case, it's great to be a Florida Gator. Seems like you'll do well wherever you end up. At least, you'll arrive in style.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczyzewski View Post
Well done. Don't repeat my mistake: sold a '63 356B (back in '88) to stay in school. Still hurts. In any case, it's great to be a Florida Gator. Seems like you'll do well wherever you end up. At least, you'll arrive in style.
Ouch. I would give body parts for a silver on red 356 coupe. I'll never have one because the prices just get more ridiculous by the minute.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 73
What exactly is a "souther Ivy"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
While I am still working for a higher act score to possibly get into a souther Ivy, I am currently accepted to Clemson. With a 9-0 football team ranked no.1 in the nation. I'm going to have to find some way to have school spirit on my Boxster once I go on campus next year.

Any ideas?

My car is speed yellow with a black hardtop and idk how to get Clemson colors to work well with that.

(Maybe that's why I am considering Duke blue, too bad they have no undergrad business... So maybe for grad school!)

Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:05 AM   #18
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Ouch. I would give body parts for a silver on red 356 coupe. I'll never have one because the prices just get more ridiculous by the minute.

If I could time travel it would be to a time where I can buy a 356 speedster.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 241
Orange and yellow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post
What exactly is a "souther Ivy"?

Southern State Ivy League university?
__________________
2001 Boxster S, TipTronic in Seal Grey aka "The Imp"
2001 TE50, ESS in (now) Grigio Titanio Matallizzato aka "The Golden child"

Last edited by TrumpyAl; 11-13-2015 at 06:05 PM.
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Southern State Ivy League university?

Yes southern Ivy haha. Many have categorized some schools as either "Public Ivy" or "Southern Ivy."

Lost the n in my first post due to being on my phone.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page