Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

How do you know what audio system you have?

I have the window sticker for my '98 Boxster, but it does not list option codes. I believe I may have the M490 stereo option, but I'm not sure.

All the window sticker says is "Hi-Fi Sound Pkg/with Speakers"....The car has dash speakers and woofers in the door....There's a leather storage unit behind/between the seats....I can't tell if there's a tweeter present in the dash speakers, but I haven't pulled one yet either....

I'd like to order the factory replacements to refresh the system, but want to make sure I order the correct dash speakers....

By the way, out of curiosity, can the M490 dash speakers (with the tweeter) be installed if you don't currently have speakers with the tweeter?

Thanks!

Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

Aren't the options listed on a piece of paper stuck under the trunk lid?
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Aren't the options listed on a piece of paper stuck under the trunk lid?
Yes, they are.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

You've most likely M490 if you have door subwoofers, and yes, you'll have dash tweeters.

M490 means an amp in the front trunk and it will have an M490 sticker on it, but you'll have to unbolt it to see it.

Agree you should have an options sticker on underside of front trunk lid.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:14 AM   #5

Thanks, I'll look for the option sticker...Interestingly, I've seen the M490 option indicated as actually coming in two variants, one with a 4-channel amp with door speakers, and a 6-channel amp with rear speakers...I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but I know for certain I do not have rear speakers...
Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 AM   #6

Don't replace with stock, you can fit infinity, Alpine, MB Quart in place of stock speaker and get a massive sound upgrade, as easy to do as replacing stock and almost certainly cheaper.
andys320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #7

Hi all,

I don't mean to Hijack this thread, but, don't really want to start another for a similar subject. I too have the 490 option code on my 2003 base model, with a CDR23 head unit, and I guess woofers in the door. Stuttcars lists the 490 code as Sound system (Harmann analog), does this mean the system is connected via the MOST bus or not? I want to replace the head unit, and, crutchfield advise to just wire the speakers directly to the harness, or will the Metra 70-1784 Receiver Wiring Harness suffice??

Regards,

Jake.

P.S. this is my option sheet:

jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Run

I put a whole new system in my 03 came with 2 dash speakers LOL. I ran all new wire as well as installing a new amp along with head unit and door speakers. Honestly this is the best way to do this IMO. The stock speakers are trash and likely in poor shape with so many years on them. If I remember correctly I had a harness I got from crutchfield for mine but there is a kicker with these cars. You have to find a hot wire that turns the unit off when the car is turned off. Down in the center console is a wire used for the phone option. This will work to do what you need. The most system turns the receiver off with the stock unit so this extra step is required
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #9

Has anyone ever replaced their factory speakers, with brand new factory speakers? I replaced the factory speakers in my sons truck (the surrounds on the old speakers had completely deteriorated) with the OEM speakers, and I have to say, I was quite surprised at the increase in sound quality. I'm assuming the speakers in my car are suspect and may have deteriorated given their age, and I'm not looking for audiophile sound (I have that in the house ), so I figured I'd just by a new factory set. I believe they're about $60 each, which really isn't bad.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Run

With all the better options out there for the same money why would you replace them with the cheap paper speakers? I put Focal in mine yeah not 60 bucks a piece but well worth the money if you want to hear your tunes with the top down.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #11

Garage
Jake - I have a 2004 Boxster S with the 490 option (Sound system (Harmann analog)) did you ever determine if this uses the MOST buss or were you able to replace the CDR-23 radio with something more current without having to replace the amp? Thanks - Rick
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #12

I just did a full blown upgrade.
Hertz 3 way components, pioneer PRS 80 head unit, Alpine pdx 9 amp.

Used the metra plug from crutchfield had them do the prewire for $20 head unit plug and play. Dash speakers used CAI speaker kits, bit pricey, but makes installation a breeze.

For door speakers they will hold 5.25 direct bolt in, but they are subs so unless you change amp will only get low freqs. I put 6.6” in by buying and modifying speaker box from ebay. Truth be told change hu, and dash speakers will improve sound by tons. A single din fits so you can go back original if you sell.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

As an aside...

I found that having the windshield tinted (lowest tint possible), with a higher grade UV tint, near eliminates not only the UV... but also the heat. I had tint installed on my Edge a few years ago. Night and day difference. Tinted the Boxster days after purchasing it.

Protects the leather dash and interior... and saves those speakers from drying out.

Just my $.02