Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 04:52 AM   #1

Lucky me! (long, big words, no pictures)

Back a couple of weeks ago I recommended getting a 4 wheel alignment as one of the first things to do with a new 987 (New 987-first things to do?). At that time I advised that I had driven…

“…my Box 3 months last season and 3 weeks this season for a total of 3900 miles. The fronts are like new but the rear tires only have 3/32's left. They seem to be worn pretty evenly and no I don't drive crazy, I drive like an old lady. I hate to admit it but it's been all highway (back and forth to work) and a few weekend tours (with my wife) so no spirited driving. Have kept the air at 32F, 36R religiously and I've been extremely careful to the point of obsession about avoiding potholes, bump, curb etc. It's hard to believe the tires could wear like this. I will be going to the dealership (Boston), Friday to see what they will do. I don't hold out much hope. The dealer has probably heard a hundred stories like mine.”

Well, I took the Box to the dealership (HC/Boston) expecting to hear the usual rhetoric sending me on my way to fight the Michelin wars. However, when he and the service manager inspected the tires, were simply amazed at the extreme wear while the fronts were like new. The right was down into the tread wear bars and the left was close to that. They checked the undercarriage and found no scuffing or evidence of having driven over any dead bodies.

Much to my surprise the dealer looked at me and said, “If you were a young kid, I’d have the answer for you immediately.” (personal note to: don’t touch the gray hair or hit Weight Watchers until the warranty has expired).

They finally put the car on the alignment rack and determined that the toe was out of alignment! When they broke the news, I didn’t have to say a word; the read the look on my face. Thereafter, service manager spent the next 2½ hours trying to locate the Porsche rep. Just as I was about to call the game, the rep returned the call. That call lasted two minutes. Believe it or not, the service manager came back the good news that Porsche would spring for new rear OEMs, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 265/35/19s, about $325 each on line! They couldn’t find any in town that afternoon (Friday) but promised to have them shipped in by Monday morning (last week).

I drove to the dealership Wed., and had the tires installed without incident. As a matter of fact, when I arrived, they immediately pulled a 911 off the rack and put mine up for the tire installation. Talk about priority! And, here’s the bonus: throughout the entire matter I was treated with nothing less than civility and cordiality.

The moral of the story is, well… sometimes being old and fat, and polite, and honest works when you have a dealer or service manager who approaches things with an open mind. It also doesn't hurt to get an alignment done when you first purchase you Box.

Two thumbs up for the dealership!

Old 05-02-2006, 05:36 AM   #2

May I ask who you were working with at Heb Chambers Boston?
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz-z Z
... sometimes being old and fat, and polite, and honest works when you have a dealer or service manager who approaches things with an open mind. It also doesn't hurt to get an alignment done when you first purchase you Box.

Two thumbs up for the dealership!
While somewhat disturbing that a new car off the lot need an alignment, it refreshing to hear about a good Porsche dealer experience.

To quote a t-shirt I saw at the mall, "Old Guys Rule!"
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennizxxx
May I ask who you were working with at Heb Chambers Boston?
George Chambers and Ryan Wong (service mgr).

Last edited by Biz-z Z; 05-02-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #5

Hey Bizz... can you post the measurements before and after the alignment with the amount off they were?

I recently bought a 2000S and after 6 months my slightly worn rears when "new" were at the indicators. When I replaced them they checked the alignment and it was off a little bit on a few settings. I don't have the details but I can post them later... just wondering if a similar 0.2% over spec setting can really wear tires like this or if yours were much more off and I'm just really heavy on the throttle (I am)
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor
Hey Bizz... can you post the measurements before and after the alignment with the amount off they were?

I recently bought a 2000S and after 6 months my slightly worn rears when "new" were at the indicators. When I replaced them they checked the alignment and it was off a little bit on a few settings. I don't have the details but I can post them later... just wondering if a similar 0.2% over spec setting can really wear tires like this or if yours were much more off and I'm just really heavy on the throttle (I am)

They didn't give me the documentation on the alignment. Since they were obviously heading towards new sneakers at no cost to me, I thought it would be bad form to ask.

I do suspect the alignment in mine was substantially off. At 3900 miles and embarrassingly no spirited driving, these things were down to the bone. If the alignment had only been slightly off, I suspect either the dealer or Porsche would have raised an argument about hitting the odd pot hole in the road (even though I am fastidious about avoiding them).

Sorry I can't help.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
fab

Hey Biz-z-Z

Ryan Wong helped me out to. He's a good guy! Not too many out there
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:15 AM   #8

Nice positive story about a dealership. By the way, what color is Targa Florio Blue? I've never seen it on the Porsche site.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #9

Hey Fab,

Are you the guy that sneaked up on me the Friday before last around 10:00 on 93 maybe 5-6 miles north of downtown.? I was on my way to the dealership then to start this matter. Up form behind came a black 986, passed me on the right (naturally I slowed down for him). The driver was mid 20's to 30's, dark hair and shades. He gave me a big smile and a thumbs up when he passed and took an exit a minute or two later (Malden, Melrose???). That was the high point of the drive into Boston. Picked my spirits up. I didn’t realize that would be an omen.

You wanna take credit?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
fab

Biz-z-Z

Wasn't me. I'm a lady.
How's that song go.....She's a lady wow...wow...wow... she's a lady.

I have seen a nice blue porsche on 93N around 4:00ish w/NH plates. Is that you?
painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One
Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #11

Ooops! Sorry about that!

I doubt if that was me. I don't go to Mass very often. Next time take a good look. If you see a fat guy with gray hair and an NH plate "Boxy-S" then it's me; then you can give me a big smile and a thumbs up!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #12
fab

will do

Most of the folks on this forum assume that a porsche owner is a male. I guess a majority of the women out there don't know what they are missing.

painted bumperettes
door sills
Valentine One