Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2023, 03:53 PM   #1

Key FOB question

I own a 1998 Boxster, with a key FOB (old style) that has 2 buttons. One is for locking/unlocking the doors and the other is to pop up the trunk.

My question is will the FOB’s battery drain if I leave the FOB in the console or near the car (NOT in the ignition) when the car is locked in my garage?

I know that most newer cars FOB’s are always “communicating” with the cars “brain” and thus will drain the FOBs battery prematurely….. I just don’t know if my 1998 FOB with 2 buttons will also drain the FOBs if left close to or inside the car.

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:03 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
As far as I’m aware, it shouldn’t be a cause for battery drain. That would be more so when left in the ignition without removing it first.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:55 AM   #3

Thanks.....I had a feeling it wouldn't drain the battery if it were just left in the car when in my locked garage.
Old 04-22-2023, 04:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
I own a 1998 Boxster, with a key FOB (old style) that has 2 buttons. One is for locking/unlocking the doors and the other is to pop up the trunk.

My question is will the FOB’s battery drain if I leave the FOB in the console or near the car (NOT in the ignition) when the car is locked in my garage?

I know that most newer cars FOB’s are always “communicating” with the cars “brain” and thus will drain the FOBs battery prematurely….. I just don’t know if my 1998 FOB with 2 buttons will also drain the FOBs if left close to or inside the car.
You’re good. The only time the fob activates is when you push one of the buttons.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:16 AM   #5

The pill inside the key isn't powered by the keys battery. It energizes from the induction coil located in the ignition lock, which is powered by the cars battery and activated when the key is in the lock cylinder (along with several other security measures)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2023, 07:51 AM   #6

Thanks all !!
I really appreciate your replies.

After changing out a NEW "Energizer" brand battery for a NEW "Duracell" brand battery the FOB works much much better. Increased range is noticeable and no more need for multiple presses. I did view a You Tube video review and comparison test between different brands of batteries and Duracell was the best in performance under load while Energizer was the worst.

I'll stick with Duracell (although somewhat harder to find in stores)

R

Last edited by Rob175; 05-04-2023 at 04:52 AM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote