986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Key FOB question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83318)

Rob175 04-20-2023 03:53 PM

Key FOB question

I own a 1998 Boxster, with a key FOB (old style) that has 2 buttons. One is for locking/unlocking the doors and the other is to pop up the trunk.

My question is will the FOB’s battery drain if I leave the FOB in the console or near the car (NOT in the ignition) when the car is locked in my garage?

I know that most newer cars FOB’s are always “communicating” with the cars “brain” and thus will drain the FOBs battery prematurely….. I just don’t know if my 1998 FOB with 2 buttons will also drain the FOBs if left close to or inside the car.

Deserion 04-20-2023 08:03 PM

As far as I’m aware, it shouldn’t be a cause for battery drain. That would be more so when left in the ignition without removing it first.

Rob175 04-21-2023 05:55 AM

Thanks.....I had a feeling it wouldn't drain the battery if it were just left in the car when in my locked garage.

tcoradeschi 04-22-2023 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob175 (Post 652625)
I own a 1998 Boxster, with a key FOB (old style) that has 2 buttons. One is for locking/unlocking the doors and the other is to pop up the trunk.

My question is will the FOB’s battery drain if I leave the FOB in the console or near the car (NOT in the ignition) when the car is locked in my garage?

I know that most newer cars FOB’s are always “communicating” with the cars “brain” and thus will drain the FOBs battery prematurely….. I just don’t know if my 1998 FOB with 2 buttons will also drain the FOBs if left close to or inside the car.

You’re good. The only time the fob activates is when you push one of the buttons.

ike84 04-22-2023 05:16 AM

The pill inside the key isn't powered by the keys battery. It energizes from the induction coil located in the ignition lock, which is powered by the cars battery and activated when the key is in the lock cylinder (along with several other security measures)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rob175 04-22-2023 07:51 AM

Thanks all !!
I really appreciate your replies.

After changing out a NEW "Energizer" brand battery for a NEW "Duracell" brand battery the FOB works much much better. Increased range is noticeable and no more need for multiple presses. I did view a You Tube video review and comparison test between different brands of batteries and Duracell was the best in performance under load while Energizer was the worst.

I'll stick with Duracell (although somewhat harder to find in stores)

R