986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why do they have to redesign something that works? Wipers won't fit. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59251)

patssle 10-22-2015 03:29 PM

Why do they have to redesign something that works? Wipers won't fit.

Bought new wipers. Passenger side is the same latch and fits fine. Driver side - nope apparently they just had to re-design for whatever "improvements". It won't snap securely. Sigh

Original on the right. Vastly improved design on the left.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1445556555.jpg

PaulE 10-22-2015 04:58 PM

I hate buying whole blades

I don't know why just buying the rubber inserts is so difficult. With an Acura or Honda you can buy the rubber inserts at the dealer parts departments. I found this thread a long time ago and now I just buy the VW rubbers for my Boxster from Pelican.

Pdwight 10-22-2015 06:09 PM

PIAA Silicone...best blades ever

Fintro11 10-22-2015 07:37 PM

I love my Bosh Icon's they are amazing

Pdwight 10-23-2015 02:51 AM

The Icons were what I always ran, until I tried the PIAA SI-Tech

JayG 10-23-2015 05:49 AM

costco has wiper blades that fit fine for $8.00

CoBeerToad 10-23-2015 07:57 AM

I bought some new arms a while ago and they suck pretty bad. Don't remember the brand, but the same brand works great on my DD. Luckily, I held onto the old arms and will be buying new blades for it come spring time.

soccerties 10-23-2015 10:51 AM

I just replaced my wiper blades. Same problem! I just popped out the center plastic part and popped them onto the new blades.

Finnegan 10-23-2015 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 470764)
The Icons were what I always ran, until I tried the PIAA SI-Tech

It looks like the PIAA are both the same length, while the stockers are two different sizes? Is that an issue?

I'd like to replace my wipers, and the local shop quoted me $60 for the OEM.

Pdwight 10-23-2015 02:28 PM

They work fine on my car using the same length

patssle 05-24-2016 11:47 AM

Okay am I the only person that can't seem to find wiper blades that will fit my car? 6 months later I'm trying again and can't find blades that will fit. The wiper set I bought from Pelican...passenger side came with the same connecting system but the drivers side is different. The corresponding model numbers of Bosch at Autozone has the different connection.

I just want a drivers side blade that has the original connection! (the right side in the 1st post picture)

ArizonaDan 05-24-2016 01:30 PM

@Patssle...if it makes you feel any better, my wife went to O'Reilly, bought the Bosch Icon's and attempted to attach them on her (my) 97...The j-hook on the shaft apparently did not fit into the mechanism on the new blade, so, while she had the arm up and was trying to "finagle it", it, she bumped the arm and it fell onto the windshield----yep, 3 cracks about 2 inches long. I was a happy guy...broken windshield, and no wipers. they do not fit the drivers side.

10/10ths 05-24-2016 01:57 PM

I also had issues...

...I bought OEM blades from Pelican and they would not "Click" into place, either. After carefully examining them, I ended up working them with a nail file in order to get the length on the tab short enough for them to "click" engage and lock into place. What a freaking weird deal.

It worked, and they are fine, but I'm going aftermarket next time.

jakeru 05-24-2016 08:57 PM

I replaced mine that came with car (non-oem style, same lengths on left and right side, right side didn't quite fit right) with the the Bosch OE style matched set. I honestly can't remember if I had the problem you're mentioning, but I'm sure if I did I figured something out. Weren't there several adapters that came with the box - and one of them worked?

But anyway, I like the OE style wipers because not only is the right side shorter, it's curved (which is kind of a fun, unique Porsche thing IMO.). Also the curved blade seems to tuck down a bit more nicely out of the way when not being used / "parked".

lkchris 05-25-2016 09:13 AM

Just replaced mine with another set of genuine Porsche parts. Zero problems fitting them.

There's a saying ... if you stop beating your head against a wall, your head will stop hurting.

A corollary: if you have a German car, PepBoys doesn't have parts for you.