986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vibration from wheels when cold (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59138)

Finnegan 10-13-2015 12:04 PM

Vibration from wheels when cold

I have been getting a slight vibration every morning for the first few minutes driving. As the weather has been getting cooler, it seems to be getting more pronounced. But it always clears up and disappears by the time the engine is warm. I've checked the tire pressure all around and it's fine. This never happens in the afternoon.

Any ideas?

Top_Ramen 10-13-2015 12:09 PM

Flat spots on tires possibly? Do you daily/regularly drive the 986?

Finnegan 10-13-2015 12:12 PM

Yes, it's my DD. And I've looked at the tires, and didn't see anything amiss. They are old, but with low miles.

Could it be needing an alignment?

Blackcloud 10-13-2015 12:46 PM

That's perfectly normal for cold performance tires to feel a little lumpy at first in colder weather. Driving warms them up and they lose their "flat spot"

Retroman1969 10-13-2015 01:08 PM

Hopefully that's all it is, but if it continues to get worse and starts doing it after warmed up, I'd have the tires checked for tread or belt separation.
This can be the first sign of trouble in an older tire and can eventually end somewhat violently.
Probably not the case, but I'm just throwing it out there.

husker boxster 10-13-2015 01:31 PM

Check the edges of your tires. This happened to me on a different car, but same symptoms. Guy at the tire store found a tire was slightly cupped on a edge. He said when the tire is cold, you drive more on the edges and the issue is more pronounced. When the tire warms up, it runs more on the center.

JayG 10-13-2015 02:04 PM

what tire are you running, some are known to flat spot

Finnegan 10-13-2015 03:15 PM

I believe they are the original tires. So, whatever was standard for a base model in 2004.

JayG 10-13-2015 03:26 PM

that could be one of probably 5 different tires
If they are 11 years old, they are dangerous to drive on

If you don't want to spend a lot of $$, look at Sumotomo HTR ZIII You can get a set of 4 in 17" for under $400 for summer tires.

Its a really good performing tire, especially at its cost

Slate 01 10-13-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnegan (Post 469765)
I believe they are the original tires. So, whatever was standard for a base model in 2004.

Wow, despite the current problem, it is time for a new set of tires. Do you really want to risk your own and others safety running around on 11 year old tires?

I'll bet you change tires and the problem vanishes too.

Retroman1969 10-14-2015 01:58 AM

Yikes!
I'll tell this as an extreme example. When I first bought my Jeep Wrangler it was 12 years old but low mileage one owner. The tires looked very good so I didn't think anything of it. Turns out they were original. I began feeling a slight vibration that was getting worse. Thinking it was a frond-end issue (common on Wrangler TJs) I made an appointment to have it checked out. On the way to the shop driving on the turnpike, the left front tire threw its tread! It ripped off the front fender and broke the step bar in half. I was able to keep control and get to the side of the road without hitting anyone but it could have gone much darker.
I've also had older tires on cars in the past that caused vibrations and ended up with either separating belts or bubbles in them. (admittedly doesn't sound like your vibration problem, but still....)
If those are indeed original tires I wouldn't drive another day without replacing them, even if you have to go cheap (I did on my daily, not wanting to continue on the aging Michelins and the cheapie tires have been just fine). ;)

BYprodriver 10-14-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 469752)
Check the edges of your tires. This happened to me on a different car, but same symptoms. Guy at the tire store found a tire was slightly cupped on a edge. He said when the tire is cold, you drive more on the edges and the issue is more pronounced. When the tire warms up, it runs more on the center.

Guy at tire store is wrong & doesn't know what he is talking about! :rolleyes:

Finnegan 10-14-2015 09:20 AM

Thanks you guys. Would a tire store be able to tell me if these are about to go south?

JayG 10-14-2015 10:15 AM

Check the DOT date code. It is 4 numbers MMYY. If it is more than 5 years old. throw the tires away

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

husker boxster 10-14-2015 10:19 AM

There should be a build date stamped on the sidewall. If they're 11 yrs old, they're beyond south.

Byproduct - why do you say he's wrong? I had a wheel bearing going bad that caused the tire issue, but I would only notice the vibration for a short time.

Finnegan 10-14-2015 10:26 AM

Ok, looks like I'm in the market for tires!

Any other recommendations, aside from the Sumotomo HTR ZIII mentioned above?

BYprodriver 10-14-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 469869)
There should be a build date stamped on the sidewall. If they're 11 yrs old, they're beyond south.

Byproduct - why do you say he's wrong? I had a wheel bearing going bad that caused the tire issue, but I would only notice the vibration for a short time.

Difference between hot & cold tire will not have any effect on tire wear unless you are over driving on track. Google tire cupping to see if your tire actually was cupping.

BYprodriver 10-14-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnegan (Post 469871)
Ok, looks like I'm in the market for tires!

Any other recommendations, aside from the Sumotomo HTR ZIII mentioned above?

Go to Tire Rack.com for info & trice guidelines.

Finnegan 10-14-2015 11:09 AM

Yeah, I've used them for years. But wanted to see if anybody here had other recommendations.

JayG 10-14-2015 11:31 AM

What kind of driving do you do?
Will you be driving in temps below 40f?