Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

99 boxster automatic transmission slipping

Hi

I have a 1999 boxster 2.5 tiptronic, 86k miles. The transmission recently started slipping after drivng a while and the car has warmed up. It does this in automatic mode, so i then switched to manual tiptronic and it would start doing it also. It finally went into limp home mode with the flashing d/4. The slipping stays in the same gear, it just revs and loses power to the wheels. In other words, it is not jumping gears.
Using the durametric, i got error codes p0733 and p0734.

I changed the transmission fluid and filter, reset the error codes and drove it for a while. It shifted fine for about 15 minutes, then the same slippage problems occurred.

I have searched many forums and seen many ideas, but no clear checklist about how to diagnose on my own. I don't know where to start regarding whether it is the tiptronic module, torque converter, or if the transmission is a goner and needs replacement.

Although i don't relish the idea, i've considered doing the transmission rebuild myself, but i would like to know if i am chasing the correct problem. If the transmission needs rebuilding, any sources on the tech manual to do that?

First though is the diagnosis and how to proceed with that.

Thanks

Tom

Tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Hi Tom, Welcome to the forum.
You say you changed the fluid and filter. Do you mean YOU changed it? If so, that's great.
When I changed my fluid/filter/wiring harness on my '01 tip, I had to check/top up the fluid 3 times to get the right level. It's not a hard job to top it up but you need to get the temperature right (use an infra-red thermometer for this) and add fluid until it backflows out of the hole. When the fluid is low, the transmission will slip. This may not be your problem but this was my experience. Good luck.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Follow this link to verify you have enough fluid in the trans; Pelican Technical Article: Changing Boxster Automatic Transmission Fluid - 986 / 987
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #4

Hi Newart

Thanks for the reply. Yes I changed it myself. I used the IR thermometer to make sure
I was in the temp range and i did refill until it overflowed and did it again after cycling through all the settings on the gear shift lever. It took almost 9 quarts of fluid as the manual states it should.

Thanks

Tom
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #5

Hi Rexcramer

I followed those instructions as per that article using his book and also the Bentley book.

Thanks

Tom