Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #1

Battery Flat, Alarm going off, can I stop it ?

Hi guys

Question for ya.

I have only driven the Box about 4 times in the last month (bad me!!) and the alarm has worn out - typical. Prob is, the alarm goes off, presumably thinking that someone has disconnected the battery ?

The keyfob doesnt seem to stop it, or putting the key in the ignition. Any ideas ?

(I will charge the battery of course, I just wondered what if anything I could do to stop the alarm sounding and p*ssing the neighbours off!!)

Thanks all.

Scott

dubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #2

If I understand correctly, your car alarm is going off at random times. If so, then this link says that a weak battery may cause the problem.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6971&pid=34774&mode=threaded&show=&st=&#
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #3

Hi,

The ROW Alarm System differs significantly from the US Market version. For one thing, you have a separate back-up battery for the Alarm. This is where the power is coming from for it to sound.

If you recharge the Car Battery, the Alarm will be able to reset. You can also disable the Back-up battery and the Alarm will cease to function until the Car Battery is reconnected.

If you drive the Car this seldom, a trickle charger is recommended to both keep the Alarm from going Haywire, but also to preserve the health of your Car Battery. There is a constant draw of approx. 20 mA on the Battery when the Car is off, Ignition Key removed. This is for the Alarm, Radio Presets, DME settings, etc. In a relatively short period, this can run the Battery Charge down.

Studies have revealed that a Battery can lose up to 15% of it's ability to hold a charge, each time it is allowed to run down. This loss is permanent and so with each rundown, the Battery is more easily rundown the next time. This is why regular running or the use of a trickle charger/maintainer is recommended. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #4

Ahh, brilliant. Thanks very much.

Can you tell me how I disable the battery backup ? Ive read through the manual and there is nothing there ??

Thanks for taking the time guys.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The ROW Alarm System differs significantly from the US Market version. For one thing, you have a separate back-up battery for the Alarm. This is where the power is coming from for it to sound.

If you recharge the Car Battery, the Alarm will be able to reset. You can also disable the Back-up battery and the Alarm will cease to function until the Car Battery is reconnected.

If you drive the Car this seldom, a trickle charger is recommended to both keep the Alarm from going Haywire, but also to preserve the health of your Car Battery. There is a constant draw of approx. 20 mA on the Battery when the Car is off, Ignition Key removed. This is for the Alarm, Radio Presets, DME settings, etc. In a relatively short period, this can run the Battery Charge down.

Studies have revealed that a Battery can lose up to 15% of it's ability to hold a charge, each time it is allowed to run down. This loss is permanent and so with each rundown, the Battery is more easily rundown the next time. This is why regular running or the use of a trickle charger/maintainer is recommended. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

dubster is offline   Reply With Quote