Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #1

Help - Oil overfill/AOS failure????

I'm new to the forum so any information will help me.
I have got a speed yellow 03 986S 60,000ks (from Australia)
We've overfilled the oil accidentally (don't ask long story)
When we take it to redline clouds of smoke pours out of the exhaust and it made a rattling noise but stopped when I pulled over and continued to smoke a little bit, I was around the corner from home so I just kept driving. Smoked kept pouring out but calmed down a little bit.
From doing a little bit of re search my theory is
My AOS was on the way out and when I overfilled the oil instead of the AOS taking the oil fumes out it was just floded with oil and so was the rest of my engine. I'm not sure
Any help will be appreciated guys!

Deren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Garage
Hoping that when you accidentally over filled the oil you corrected the problem? If you haven't you need to stop driving it immediately. I'm guessing that your aos is toast. Overfill of oil leads to premature failure. Pull it, pull your intake and see how much oil got by it. You could be in for a new mass airflow sensor, and o2 sensors if you're lucky. Do you do your own maintenance or do you have a mechanic you trust?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Hoping that when you accidentally over filled the oil you corrected the problem? If you haven't you need to stop driving it immediately. I'm guessing that your aos is toast. Overfill of oil leads to premature failure. Pull it, pull your intake and see how much oil got by it. You could be in for a new mass airflow sensor, and o2 sensors if you're lucky. Do you do your own maintenance or do you have a mechanic you trust?
No it's still full. I just drove it home and have left it since
I will take it to my mechanic as I do not do my own maintenance
What else could I have damaged or what will I damage if I keep driving it.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

Garage
Why would he need a new MAF? I would think it is quite a safe distance away, upstream, of the AOS vent tube.

I would say with a lot of smoke and continued oil burn, a new AOS is probably required (indicated by the continuous oil burn) and after that is replaced, maybe new 02 sensors if the car still acts up after the new AOS.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deren View Post
What else could I have damaged or what will I damage if I keep driving it.
You could easily fill one or more cylinder with oil and hydraulically lock the engine, reducing it to a boat anchor.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You could easily fill one or more cylinder with oil and hydraulically lock the engine, reducing it to a boat anchor.
Bingo. Hydro lock. Don't drive it. Cars aren't supposed to smoke profusely. Don't let your unwillingness to flatbed the car turn into a 20k mistake.

epapp, I read somewhere that the aos allowing oil to enter the intake in some cases can contaminate the maf. I will try to find that info. I try not to talk out of my rear.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

Garage
I would be interested to read about that, since when running the maf is a few feet of intake tubing away...in addition to being under vacuum with airflow in the direction opposite of oil-being-able-to-foul-the-maf.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

Garage
Epapp, here you are. Towards the end. I knew I read it somewhere semi reliable. There's also a fairly lengthy discussion on a Pedro's board thread. Google aos cause maf and you'll find the thread. Maybe not that common but some claim it happens.
Porsche Boxster Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) Replacement and Troubleshooting - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Old 09-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
The rattling noise you heard may well have been the connecting rods slamming into the crank due to high compression due to oil in the combustion chambers. As you don't do your own wrenching take it to a mechanic on a flatbed. You can easily reduce your engine to scrap if it is ingesting oil due to the piston attempting to compress in-compressible oil. Something will give and it wont be the oil.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

Thanks guys.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #11

Also if I drain some oil would it be ok to drive to the workshop?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deren View Post
Also if I drain some oil would it be ok to drive to the workshop?
At this point you have zero idea how much damage has been done. If you are prepared to potentially turn your engine into trash and pay for a new one, then by all means drive it. If I were you, I'd flatbed it to the mechanic.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #13

You can remove the oil filter cannister to reduce the oil level. You may need to do this several times, checking the level between each time. The cannister holds about 1 bar's worth of oil on the electronic grid.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Epapp, here you are. Towards the end. I knew I read it somewhere semi reliable. There's also a fairly lengthy discussion on a Pedro's board thread. Google aos cause maf and you'll find the thread. Maybe not that common but some claim it happens.

Porsche Boxster Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) Replacement and Troubleshooting - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

COOLANT on the MAF? What has the world come to.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:50 AM   #15
Beginner

Garage
You have to figure out your level of risk acceptance. You have oil in the intake and a lot of it. Running the engine in that condition can result in total failure. Then again it might not. That's the $20k question.