Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #1

Pls help -pulling my hair out now.

I've got a yr 2000 boxster S and found a puddle under the passenger seat which has submerged the alarm ecu. Car will start but doors won't lock just open themselves again and also windows won't operate. I've bought a new alarm ecu with same number hoping it would fix it which it did. I now have working locks and windows but of course car won't turn over because of imobiliser. What is the cheapest option pls to sort this as its killing me not having the car on the road now over a year.

Can I buy a full ecu and key set off another 2000 boxster S without tiptronic regardless of the numbers being same as mine asking as I change both ecu and transponders off keys ?

Can I have the data off my broken ecu read and flashed onto the new ecu I bought ?

Can I just buy a cheap universal central locking and electric window switch kit off eBay and use that ?

Pls only people that actually know answer as had a lot of advice and guesses from people who didn't and it's getting me nowhere.

Many thanks in advance and anyone selling anything I need above that would've awesome if it will fix the issue.

Last edited by toonfan; 09-29-2015 at 09:41 AM.
toonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonfan View Post
I've got a yr 2000 boxster S and found a puddle under the passenger seat which has submerged the alarm ecu. Car will start but doors won't lock just open themselves again and also windows won't operate. I've bought a new alarm ecu with same number hoping it would fix it which it did. I now have working locks and windows but of course car won't turn over because of imobiliser. What is the cheapest option pls to sort this as its killing me not having the car on the road now over a year.

Can I buy a full ecu and key set off another 2000 boxster S without tiptronic regardless of the numbers being same as mine asking as I change both ecu and transponders off keys ?

Can I have the data off my broken ecu read and flashed onto the new ecu I bought ?

Can I just buy a cheap universal central locking and electric window switch kit off eBay and use that ?

Pls only people that actually know answer as had a lot of advice and guesses from people who didn't and it's getting me nowhere.

Many thanks in advance and anyone selling anything I need above that would've awesome if it will fix the issue.
If the original alarm control unit is beyond repair, the car will need to be recoded to accept the new one (PST II or PIWIS system only).
Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #3

Did you buy the full kit, ecu + dme and key fob.? Who did you buy it from.?

I had the same problem back in May, brought a complete set and it failed like yours so the seller sent me another complete kit, still didn't work, I figured someone at their end mixed up fobs. Brought another complete kit exactly matching from stevestrange last week and all good, I'm back on the road again.

Porsche in notts wouldn't take my word on what was wrong with the car so said they need to plug in and do a full diagnostic before they started work which may take an hour at £156 so I took another gamble on another breakers set and won. If you didn't know the dme new is £230, key fob is £115 plus half hour programming plus mr vat.
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #4

Who is stevestrange and does he supply the kits ? I only bought a replacement alarm ecu off eBay with the same number on it as my original.
Did the working kit you bought have exactly
The same numbers as your existing ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
Did you buy the full kit, ecu + dme and key fob.? Who did you buy it from.?

I had the same problem back in May, brought a complete set and it failed like yours so the seller sent me another complete kit, still didn't work, I figured someone at their end mixed up fobs. Brought another complete kit exactly matching from stevestrange last week and all good, I'm back on the road again.

Porsche in notts wouldn't take my word on what was wrong with the car so said they need to plug in and do a full diagnostic before they started work which may take an hour at £156 so I took another gamble on another breakers set and won. If you didn't know the dme new is £230, key fob is £115 plus half hour programming plus mr vat.
toonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #5

You need all three items otherwise it ain't gonna work mate, they have to match each other and come from the same car.
Stevestrange is a seller on ebay who breaks porsche, ferrari's and all nice cars and knows what he's doing. All my numbers matched on the ecu and dme and were also the same model and year type, it all has to be perfect.
Find a ecu + dme that match your numbers that also include a keyfob as you will need the pill inside. Always best to do initial start up too by turning ignition to position one for about 1 minute then off (for the throttle valve to recalibrate) then on for 15 seconds then off, then it should start ok.
Click the refund button and send your unit back mate.
I got mine all sorted for 175 notes.

Last edited by Dualist; 09-29-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote