Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #1

lotus elise euro autocross mpeg as promised

if this doesn't inspire you to atleast sit in your car with the top down and pretend, then i guess you're toooooo grown up!

follow this link:

http://www.gti-g60.de/videos/lotus-vollerunde.mpg

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #2

Yes, Nürburgring is great. I like watching the videos of people driving it - I don't quite have the layout memorized but Gran Turismo helps with that!

I know a guy at work that wants to go to Germany to drive the track. Apparently you can rent cars and buy insurance etc... sounds great but I wonder what the dollars per mile is in the end!
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #3

thing that drives me crazy about GT4 in arcade mode, is that no matter what car I pick, the 5 remaining computer cars are twice as fast. it is fun to pick early era cars like the vw and run Nürburgring - these cars hit the inclines and putz down to like 25mph.

btw, i love the sound of that elise as its screamin along - i need to move to germany - the cars, the roads, the beer, the women - oh wait, scratch that last one!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:28 AM   #4

What I love so much is how guys on bikes always think they are faster at the track when they are not. I have a CBR600 and know just how fast it is at the track. They can not corner with a car period. The nurburg ring is the perfect example because guys in regular road cars, not even anything fast are passing them in the corners.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:16 AM   #5

Hi,

This has always been one of my Fav film clips: http://www.renegadetourist.com/rendezvous.html

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes (the film capacity of the Camera); the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground.

Depending upon your Band Speed, it may take some time to load, but definitely an interesting clip. Many may have already seen it, for others, hope you like it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #6

Jim,

is this link still good?

youve got me intrigued. i guess ill look for the movie somewhere else.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #7

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2851488008488190547
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #8

Something looks fake... I think its a FIAT with a camera and some talented sound editing person... going through the gears looks like he's at the same speed!

986JIM I always have noticed that too about the bikes going slow.. I think there's no question who will win a drag race to 60 100 150 or whatever.. those bikes are incredible, but the turns.. I see the pros taking turns sliding on the front wheel only and wonder how fast they're doing it.. it sure looks fast.

I love to see a video of a range of cars and bikes running a track individually and then superimpose all the videos together to see where everything has its strengths, from a camry to an F1 car and a Harley to a whateverthefastestbikecurrentlyis...

Last edited by trogdor; 04-28-2006 at 05:32 PM.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor
Something looks fake... I think its a FIAT with a camera and some talented sound editing person... going through the gears looks like he's at the same speed!...
Hi,

There has been some speculation over the years about this Film, mainly that the Director did this himself with a Camera mounted on the front of his Mercedes.

But, as someone who used to live in Paris and knows this route very well, I can tell you that at posted speeds, it would normally take about 25-30 min. to cover it, not 9 min.

One thing is for certain, you could never make that run today at 7am or even 2am because the Traffic has multiplied about 10 times since this film was made. Fake or not (I'm still going with as advertised), it's still entertaining to watch...

Old 04-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #10

very cool. extremely irresponsible though.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallygottaporsche
very cool. extremely irresponsible though.
Hi,

No arguement here...