Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #1

I did it! I bought another P-Car!

And let me tell you. My new P-Car blows away any Corvette out there, well.. when I am in the express lanes. Yes Yes, I guess this title in mis-leading. OK OK

I bought a Prius.....

Traffic has been so bad lately in my neck of the woods that I got tired of sitting in traffic and picking up slugs (hitchhikers) to commute in the express lanes of I-95 in the mornings and evening. I can now drive in the express lanes by myself, speeding by everyone else sitting in traffic. You see, we have this HOV rule, 3 people need to be in your car to use the express lanes but if you have a hybrid vehicle you only need 1 person.

I have to say you guys are probably laughing but I love this little dick car. It is quite amazing. The technology in it is like I-Robot. I got touch screens, bluetooth and backup cameras plus I am getting about 50mpg.......and the best part, I make it to work a half hour earlier each day so I can go home earlier and drive my other P-Car at sunset. Well worth the money and just as fun to drive as the Porsche LOL believe it or not.

05' 987 Basalt Black Sold
http://photos.imageevent.com/rainand...s/DSC04327.JPG

Last edited by jangobox; 04-26-2006 at 10:24 AM.
jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #2

Hey - I'm not laughing! I just bought my wife a Volkswagon Cabrio (44 mpg). She was previously driving my Montero (10-15 mpg).

I'd get myself a high mpg car if I had any more space.

POWER TO YOU!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #3

WWJD

What Would Jango Drive? The Prius is a long way away from a Firespray-class F-31, my friend.

Surely that thought went through your head and caused a touch of remorse as you signed the dotted line.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #4

I hope you've priced the batteries on those cars... something like two large when they finally give up the ghost, right?

That should be a separate line item in an extended warranty on a hybrid if you ask me. It's akin to a new engine or transmission in cost.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #5

I like the Prius. I rented one for a day when I was still shopping for cars. It was a pretty cool little vehicle. Though I'd go with a VW Golf TDI or a Jetta for a commuter car (something like 46mpg, and can run biodiesel), but that's just me.

Nice purchase though
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #6

Could have bought yourself an inflatable doll for your Porsche...
Old 04-27-2006, 03:48 AM   #7
fab

Hey wild1poet2-
That might work out in N. Virginia but not in Mass...
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:55 AM   #8

Why North America is messing around with these stupid Hybrid cars that get 44-50mph is just beyond me.

In Europe they have a lot of 1.0L Diesel cars that are quite small, take the VW Polo Diesel for instance. It gets 88mpg and diesel is cheaper than gasoline is plus no stupid batteries. Why can't we get that here?

Just on a side note, cant you just buy some hybrid stickers for the Boxster and put some batteries in the trunk or something? HOV lane approved!
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
Just on a side note, cant you just buy some hybrid stickers for the Boxster and put some batteries in the trunk or something? HOV lane approved!
Now that would be awesome. Unfortunately here in the states we have this thing called the Division of Motor Vehicles. They issue special icense plates for "Cleaner fuel vehicles" Without these plates on your car, you could get a $500 ticket for breaking the rules in HOV lanes. As for the doll? LOL I wish the police were as dumb as Rosco P Coltrain. They actually have check points going onto and off of the express lane ramps. It's how they make their monthly ticket quote.

05' 987 Basalt Black Sold
http://photos.imageevent.com/rainand...s/DSC04327.JPG
jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote