Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #1

Question tyre pressure ?

what is consider ideal tyre pressure? mine is a 97 boxster tip. 16" 205 and a 225 rear. because of the difference in the front tyre and rear, does this mean the PSI will be diffrence too? does it have any difference if you're staying in topics compare with other with 4 seaons? thanks in advance.

ivan loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I thought the smallest wheel on a 97' was 17 inches?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #3

i m from singapore and a standard for boxster97 2.5 was a 16"
Old 04-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I thought the manual states 32psi for the fronts and 36 in the rears if I can remember correctly.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:08 AM   #5

thanks for the information!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:59 AM   #6

look under your hood. you will see a sticker that lists tire sizes and inflation pressures. you will see that they are 29 front / 36 rear for all available sizes.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:40 AM   #7

The base boxster has 16" wheels in all countries. 17" were an upgrade.

Under the hood it shows the tire pressure for all sized, 16" and 17". Front and rear are different. Check and set them cold.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #8

Hi,

Just remember that NHTSA mandates that the Manufacturers Stickers list the Tire Pressures ONLY for a Fully Loaded Vehicle - an aftermath of the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco.

All the Ford Explorer claims were from Cars which were running Underinflated Tires - common to clearly 40% of all cars on the Road today. Apparently, the NHTSA wants us all to err on the High Side.

This means it assumes an Adult Driver and Passenger, Full Fuel Tank and both Trunks loaded to capacity, incl. Tools and Spare. As much as 600-700lbs. heavier than you may actually be running.

If you're not consistently running with this Load, your Tires will be waay Overinflated for your Daily Use and the Car will not Handle the way it was intended.

Tire pressure, once beyond the minimum, is truly a matter of Personal Choice, There is no Right or Wrong. You need to find a Pressure which satisfies You, your Driving Style, your usual Routes, and the Conditions of the Roads you drive. This means, you should experiment with several different Pressures within a range to see which one you like the most.

A couple of guidelines:
  • 30PSI is the minimum Tire Pressure you should run (Personally, with 18" Turbo I Wheels and low profile Tires, I stay at 32PSI to minimize the risk of damaging a Rim from Pot Holes and other Road flaws).

You will want generally a minimum of 2PSI more in your Rear Tires than the Fronts to minimize Understeer.

Pressures up to 40PSI are OK, but the closer you get to this Mark, the more wear will occur to the Centerline of the Tire Tread vs the Sides, and the more Twitchy the Steering will feel, Braking may also be slightly adversely affected.

Use an accurate, digital gauge and always measure the Tires when Cold, meaning at least 5 hours since the Car was last driven, preferably overnight.

If consistently Driving mid-long distances in Hot weather, tend toward slightly lower pressures - 1-2PSI as your Tire Pressure increases as the Tires heat up. This also applies to sessions where you'll be Rockin' & Rollin', say spirited drives through the Twistys

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 04-26-2006 at 05:54 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #9

hi jim,

thank for the indepth advice and your viewpoint. appreciate it. cheers