Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

New suspension

So at 112,000 miles on my 2002 S. The suspension was knocking like a woodpecker at all 4 corners. So I bit the bullet and had the whole system replaced. It should be ready for pickup over the weekend, the only thing I didn't replace was the springs because I like the current ride height, I also went with the 3 way adjustable Koni sport struts, the original parts don't look very good anymore.

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #2

how much did it run you in parts and labor?
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #3

Garage
What parts did you go with?
TRW? Meyle? Lemforder?
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Everything besides the lower control arms are TRW direct replacement, the lower arms are Meyle. I also replaced the sway bar bushings and end links with TRW parts, along with inner and outer tie rods and boot kit. Can't wait to feel the difference.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Seems to be a world wide shortage of TRW lower arms and I didn't want to wait, hope the Meyle arms work well
Old 08-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
how much did it run you in parts and labor?
Parts and labor 3900. But I don't remember if that included the tie rods
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
Parts and labor 3900. But I don't remember if that included the tie rods
$3900?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

I just replaced my rear trailing arms, all sway bar links and bushings as well. I guess parts should be around $1000 for you if you also get four control arms. Is $2900 a reasonable price for this job? It seems a little steep to me. I don't mean to question OP or anything, just curious to know what the market is in case I need to get somethiny fixed.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Garage
I got a quote at $900 for labor to swap the struts and shocks.
I will supply used parts
Old 08-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #10

Don't forget I did the struts also at almost 300.00 each, but I think I did pay a little much for labor.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

report back with the change in ride & handling..
curious to learn what 4k in suspension can do
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

Does 4k seem too high? I'll have to go back and add up the parts and labor, I could be off a bit, my indie is usually quite reasonable.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #13

Garage
How many hours of labor? What's the hourly rate?
That could explain the 4k
Old 08-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
I got a quote at $900 for labor to swap the struts and shocks.
I will supply used parts
Got ya beat and I guess I should consider it a good deal. Got a quote for $450, includes alignment, to swap in used Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein sport struts. Whats strange is many shops in my area just didnt want to work on a Porsche and some claimed they didnt have the tools for a Porsche. I realize Im providing my own parts, and some shops wont do that (Les Schwab), but Im puzzled why installing a modest lower and sport struts on a Boxster is such a scourge.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
Got ya beat and I guess I should consider it a good deal. Got a quote for $450, includes alignment, to swap in used Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein sport struts. Whats strange is many shops in my area just didnt want to work on a Porsche and some claimed they didnt have the tools for a Porsche. I realize Im providing my own parts, and some shops wont do that (Les Schwab), but Im puzzled why installing a modest lower and sport struts on a Boxster is such a scourge.
Might be worth driving both ways to Portland then
Old 08-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #16
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
Might be worth driving both ways to Portland then
Automotive Outfitters Automotive Outfitters Portland, OR (503) 772-0654

Stop by and have a beer.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
... I also went with the 3 way adjustable Koni sport struts,...
You mean rebound adjustable? Triple adjustable would be a very custom (and expensive) high end race shock.

The new off-the-shelf Koni sports designed for the 986 boxster are externally rebound adjustable on front (by knob at top of strut, accessed under the front trim behind the frunk), and rebound adjustable at rear only when strut is removed (by fully compressing the shaft and turning to engage the internal adjusting mechanism).

The shocks come at minimum rebound setting out of the box, so if you want your rears firmed up any, you should tell your installer how much before he installs them. If you have stock non-M030 suspension, im guessing probably the factory minimum rear setting will work well though.

It is really nice to have adjustability at one end of the car, as you can easily fine-tune the handling balance that way. (Although if the shocks are set at full soft, you can only adjust them firmer, not softer).

PS - That cut ball joint boot sure looks like it had a nasty incident with a pickle fork.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
You mean rebound adjustable? Triple adjustable would be a very custom (and expensive) high end race shock.

The new off-the-shelf Koni sports designed for the 986 boxster are externally rebound adjustable on front (by knob at top of strut, accessed under the front trim behind the frunk), and rebound adjustable at rear only when strut is removed (by fully compressing the shaft and turning to engage the internal adjusting mechanism).

The shocks come at minimum rebound setting out of the box, so if you want your rears firmed up any, you should tell your installer how much before he installs them. If you have stock non-M030 suspension, im guessing probably the factory minimum rear setting will work well though.

It is really nice to have adjustability at one end of the car, as you can easily fine-tune the handling balance that way. (Although if the shocks are set at full soft, you can only adjust them firmer, not softer).

PS - That cut ball joint boot sure looks like it had a nasty incident with a pickle fork.
Yeah in figured that boot was damaged coming out, they did call me before the struts went in and I told them to leave them on the softest setting for right now.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #19

After 3 weeks away for work I finally went and picked up my car from my indie who was kind enough to store it for me. Replaced 4 lower control arms, front and rear track arms and the rear toe arms. Wow what a difference! The handling is very tight, smooth and quiet. Final cost with labor was 1625.00. The trip before I replaced the shocks, bushings, end links, and tie rods. So the only thing that wasn't replaced was the springs and sway bars, so the suspension is done.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #20

Garage
struts, spring replacement

I'm sure I'll get spanked by someone, but, I do all my own work. I haven't had to replace anything in my suspension. I'll be replacing my starter tomorrow. I did, however, replace the coil springs on my Honda Civic two weekends ago and it took a mere 3 hours with the right tools. I've crawled around now for a while under the Porsche and expect it might take about the same amount of time or maybe twice as long. I can't imagine paying someone $1k or more to have that work done.

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote