986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New suspension (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58223)

oc-boxster 08-07-2015 10:04 AM

New suspension

So at 112,000 miles on my 2002 S. The suspension was knocking like a woodpecker at all 4 corners. So I bit the bullet and had the whole system replaced. It should be ready for pickup over the weekend, the only thing I didn't replace was the springs because I like the current ride height, I also went with the 3 way adjustable Koni sport struts, the original parts don't look very good anymore. http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1438970596.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1438970623.jpg
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1438970638.jpg

CrisZenithBlue 08-07-2015 10:05 AM

how much did it run you in parts and labor?

EJ-Fresno 08-07-2015 10:06 AM

What parts did you go with?
TRW? Meyle? Lemforder?

oc-boxster 08-07-2015 10:09 AM

Everything besides the lower control arms are TRW direct replacement, the lower arms are Meyle. I also replaced the sway bar bushings and end links with TRW parts, along with inner and outer tie rods and boot kit. Can't wait to feel the difference.

oc-boxster 08-07-2015 10:10 AM

Seems to be a world wide shortage of TRW lower arms and I didn't want to wait, hope the Meyle arms work well

oc-boxster 08-07-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue (Post 460481)
how much did it run you in parts and labor?

Parts and labor 3900. But I don't remember if that included the tie rods

EJ-Fresno 08-07-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc-boxster (Post 460490)
Parts and labor 3900. But I don't remember if that included the tie rods

$3900? :eek:

hancock1701 08-07-2015 12:03 PM

I just replaced my rear trailing arms, all sway bar links and bushings as well. I guess parts should be around $1000 for you if you also get four control arms. Is $2900 a reasonable price for this job? It seems a little steep to me. I don't mean to question OP or anything, just curious to know what the market is in case I need to get somethiny fixed.

EJ-Fresno 08-07-2015 12:05 PM

I got a quote at $900 for labor to swap the struts and shocks.
I will supply used parts :o

oc-boxster 08-07-2015 12:53 PM

Don't forget I did the struts also at almost 300.00 each, but I think I did pay a little much for labor.

CrisZenithBlue 08-07-2015 01:00 PM

report back with the change in ride & handling..
curious to learn what 4k in suspension can do :D

oc-boxster 08-07-2015 01:06 PM

Does 4k seem too high? I'll have to go back and add up the parts and labor, I could be off a bit, my indie is usually quite reasonable.

EJ-Fresno 08-07-2015 01:36 PM

How many hours of labor? What's the hourly rate?
That could explain the 4k

TypeA 08-07-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 460504)
I got a quote at $900 for labor to swap the struts and shocks.
I will supply used parts :o

Got ya beat and I guess I should consider it a good deal. Got a quote for $450, includes alignment, to swap in used Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein sport struts. Whats strange is many shops in my area just didnt want to work on a Porsche and some claimed they didnt have the tools for a Porsche. I realize Im providing my own parts, and some shops wont do that (Les Schwab), but Im puzzled why installing a modest lower and sport struts on a Boxster is such a scourge.

EJ-Fresno 08-07-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeA (Post 460523)
Got ya beat and I guess I should consider it a good deal. Got a quote for $450, includes alignment, to swap in used Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein sport struts. Whats strange is many shops in my area just didnt want to work on a Porsche and some claimed they didnt have the tools for a Porsche. I realize Im providing my own parts, and some shops wont do that (Les Schwab), but Im puzzled why installing a modest lower and sport struts on a Boxster is such a scourge.

Might be worth driving both ways to Portland then :D

TypeA 08-07-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 460524)
Might be worth driving both ways to Portland then :D

Automotive Outfitters Automotive Outfitters Portland, OR (503) 772-0654

Stop by and have a beer.

jakeru 08-11-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc-boxster (Post 460479)
... I also went with the 3 way adjustable Koni sport struts,...

You mean rebound adjustable? Triple adjustable would be a very custom (and expensive) high end race shock.

The new off-the-shelf Koni sports designed for the 986 boxster are externally rebound adjustable on front (by knob at top of strut, accessed under the front trim behind the frunk), and rebound adjustable at rear only when strut is removed (by fully compressing the shaft and turning to engage the internal adjusting mechanism).

The shocks come at minimum rebound setting out of the box, so if you want your rears firmed up any, you should tell your installer how much before he installs them. If you have stock non-M030 suspension, im guessing probably the factory minimum rear setting will work well though.

It is really nice to have adjustability at one end of the car, as you can easily fine-tune the handling balance that way. (Although if the shocks are set at full soft, you can only adjust them firmer, not softer).

PS - That cut ball joint boot sure looks like it had a nasty incident with a pickle fork.

oc-boxster 08-12-2015 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeru (Post 461172)
You mean rebound adjustable? Triple adjustable would be a very custom (and expensive) high end race shock.

The new off-the-shelf Koni sports designed for the 986 boxster are externally rebound adjustable on front (by knob at top of strut, accessed under the front trim behind the frunk), and rebound adjustable at rear only when strut is removed (by fully compressing the shaft and turning to engage the internal adjusting mechanism).

The shocks come at minimum rebound setting out of the box, so if you want your rears firmed up any, you should tell your installer how much before he installs them. If you have stock non-M030 suspension, im guessing probably the factory minimum rear setting will work well though.

It is really nice to have adjustability at one end of the car, as you can easily fine-tune the handling balance that way. (Although if the shocks are set at full soft, you can only adjust them firmer, not softer).

PS - That cut ball joint boot sure looks like it had a nasty incident with a pickle fork.

Yeah in figured that boot was damaged coming out, they did call me before the struts went in and I told them to leave them on the softest setting for right now.

oc-boxster 08-28-2015 05:37 PM

After 3 weeks away for work I finally went and picked up my car from my indie who was kind enough to store it for me. Replaced 4 lower control arms, front and rear track arms and the rear toe arms. Wow what a difference! The handling is very tight, smooth and quiet. Final cost with labor was 1625.00. The trip before I replaced the shocks, bushings, end links, and tie rods. So the only thing that wasn't replaced was the springs and sway bars, so the suspension is done.

jdlmodelt 08-28-2015 07:14 PM

struts, spring replacement

I'm sure I'll get spanked by someone, but, I do all my own work. I haven't had to replace anything in my suspension. I'll be replacing my starter tomorrow. I did, however, replace the coil springs on my Honda Civic two weekends ago and it took a mere 3 hours with the right tools. I've crawled around now for a while under the Porsche and expect it might take about the same amount of time or maybe twice as long. I can't imagine paying someone $1k or more to have that work done.