986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New suspension (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58223)

hancock1701 08-28-2015 07:17 PM

Great! Glad you could restore the car back to its glory and get to enjoy it. You're in OC, so I might ask for a ride in your car to see how much in need of a refreshing my suspension is. :D

oc-boxster 08-28-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 463786)
I'm sure I'll get spanked by someone, but, I do all my own work. I haven't had to replace anything in my suspension. I'll be replacing my starter tomorrow. I did, however, replace the coil springs on my Honda Civic two weekends ago and it took a mere 3 hours with the right tools. I've crawled around now for a while under the Porsche and expect it might take about the same amount of time or maybe twice as long. I can't imagine paying someone $1k or more to have that work done.

I agree with you completely. I would love to do this work myself but I don't have a garage or space to do it in now. Besides some basic hand tools I don't really have an arsenal of tools at my disposal, and with most projects buying the proper equipment and tools would be about the same cost as what I pay in labor and I don't want to buy a bunch of tools I'm going to use 2-3 times. And even on jack stands I just don't think the work would be all that enjoyable unless the car was on a lift, just my 2 cents.

oc-boxster 08-28-2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 463788)
Great! Glad you could restore the car back to its glory and get to enjoy it. You're in OC, so I might ask for a ride in your car to see how much in need of a refreshing my suspension is. :D

Anytime you like

EJ-Fresno 08-28-2015 07:53 PM

I had the suspension refreshed this week.
Labor was $1150 to swap shocks/springs/wishbones/rod ends/control and alignment.
I love the feeling with the new suspension! :)

jdlmodelt 08-29-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc-boxster (Post 463791)
I agree with you completely. I would love to do this work myself but I don't have a garage or space to do it in now. Besides some basic hand tools I don't really have an arsenal of tools at my disposal, and with most projects buying the proper equipment and tools would be about the same cost as what I pay in labor and I don't want to buy a bunch of tools I'm going to use 2-3 times. And even on jack stands I just don't think the work would be all that enjoyable unless the car was on a lift, just my 2 cents.

Thanks OC that a was a gracious response. Good point about having tools you'll only use once or twice. I have several cars and the tools get used to make them worth while so that definitely makes a difference. I was fortunate that my wife made me build a garage big enough to work on vehicles. I'm so tight I would still be working on the cars and farm equipment out in the sun, rain, snow, mud, ice if it had not been for her. I've learned the benefits of using air tools to do repairs. Speeds the process up tremendously and makes the job considerably easier. I failed to recognize we don't all have the shop and tools to make these jobs much easier. I need to count my blessings.

oc-boxster 08-29-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 463838)
Thanks OC that a was a gracious response. Good point about having tools you'll only use once or twice. I have several cars and the tools get used to make them worth while so that definitely makes a difference. I was fortunate that my wife made me build a garage big enough to work on vehicles. I'm so tight I would still be working on the cars and farm equipment out in the sun, rain, snow, mud, ice if it had not been for her. I've learned the benefits of using air tools to do repairs. Speeds the process up tremendously and makes the job considerably easier. I failed to recognize we don't all have the shop and tools to make these jobs much easier. I need to count my blessings.

I have worked on my own cars in the past and do love the satisfaction of doing the work myself. Very soon I will have space to work in and am looking forward to it. Believe me when I say, I've been thinking of all the other things I could have done with the money I spent on labor.