Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #1

Paging Dr. Particlewave

I'm thinking Charles can help me because he's the headlight king, but if not maybe someone else can chime in. I have a pair of aftermarket tinted taillights that are both melted on the inside. The outside lens looks to be in great condition. I have some factory taillights that have broken or cracked lenses. Are the taillights like the headlights and come apart with some heat? And if so, can they be glued back?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hey Woody...unfortunately, the OEM tail lights are ultrasonic welded (melted, fused) together. I don't see any feasible way to seperate them other than getting crazy with the Dremel.

I don't remember if the Depo tail lights you have pictured are welded or glued, though. I sold my set after buying the Dectane TLs from you.

I'm always up for a new experiment if you want to go through the trouble of shipping. No charge for you, of course.

Last edited by particlewave; 08-28-2015 at 09:47 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #3

Thanks Charles. I'm not sure what I want to do with them yet. I might just give them away.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #4

I've got another question for the Doc, or anyone else that might know. Have you ever put LED bulbs in the front turn signals? On some vehicles you have to use a resistor when you switch over to LED. I think that's for canbus though.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:10 AM   #5

My pal has a set of the clear (funny looking) Denso tail lights. Covers are coming off on their own.
I'm sure he'd let them go cheep.
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I've got another question for the Doc, or anyone else that might know. Have you ever put LED bulbs in the front turn signals? On some vehicles you have to use a resistor when you switch over to LED. I think that's for canbus though.
Sthg like below pic Woody. Or I'm sure you could rig some resistance in the circuit but these gadgets often overheat, sometime large and not practical to install just for a flasher imo.

Google "electronic flasher unit" and match to porche-like pin outs, I'm only guessing bud.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #7

I might just switch out the bulbs for some LEDs and see what happens. I'm painting the interior of my headlights like Charles did to his, but I'm taking it a little further. I'm also painting over the reflective pieces and think a brighter LED bulb would somewhat make up for less reflective surface. It seems like Charles is always playing around with different looks on the headlights and must have tried already?