Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

Soft top stuttering problem

My '02 S now has 117k miles on it. Over the last year I've noticed the top stuttering (not moving smoothly) through the middle ~1/3 of the cycle going up or down, and it seems to gradually be getting worse. I'm due for a new top and have decided now's probably the time to address this issue.

The car's been in the family since 2006 and 43k miles. No top mechanism maintenance or service has ever been done.

Is this simply a lubrication problem or potentially something more serious? I've searched the archives and have found no posts re similar issues.

Thanks for your help.

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

Easy fix.
Clean and lube (lithium grease) the tracks on both sides. Do the same to the ends of the pivot rods. All will be well!

Check your drains while your in the neighborhood.

PS.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Easy fix.
Clean and lube (lithium grease) the tracks on both sides. Do the same to the ends of the pivot rods. All will be well!

Check your drains while your in the neighborhood.

PS.
Back in May I had my top replaced by Stan's Auto Top of Chatham, NJ (did a great job at a fair price, btw). Peter, the owner, has done thousands of tops over the last 40+ years including well over 100 Boxster & 911 tops.

He said white lithium grease is not a good choice for the top mechanism because over time it will harden and loose its lubricity. For many years he's been using Valvoline "Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease", part number W632. It's for wheel bearings, steering linkage, chassis, suspension, and u-joints. So far, so good.

Here's a link: Valvoline™ Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease Ford : Product Catalog - Valvoline®

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote