Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
On the slippery slope

Garage
Insurance companies are morons

Ok, this is not specifically Porsche related, but could apply

In mid July my wife and I were in our Jetta going to dinner and were stopped at a red light. About 30 seconds after we stopped, we got rear-ended by a minivan and were pushed about 1-2 feet forward. I immediately got out and there didn't look like much damage to the car. I motioned to the dumbass driver of the minivan to follow us into a parking lot just past the intersection.

We parked, I took a better look at the damage and it was minor, you could see an imprint in the bumper from the minivans license plate bolts. The woman came out of her car, looked at the bumper and said there was no damage and it was just a slight tap. She then proceed to tell me that she had been rubbing both eyes and did not see us. I thought to myself BS, you were texting on your phone.

I ask her for her license, registration and insurance info and copied the info. While I was doing this she took a picture of our bumper with her phone. I gave her back her paperwork and went to the drivers window to ask my wife for her documents and the other driver drove off.

Got back into our car and we both started to feel some pain from the impact. As we were hungry, we had dinner and then decided to go see the Doc.

Fast forward a few weeks....

We are both in physical therapy for the injuries and finally I was able to get State farm ( the dumbass's insurance company) to come out and do an estimate on our car for the damage. I was concerned that the alignment may have been tweaked a bit and asked that it be checked. the estimator told me that this kind of accident does not normally cause alignment issues, but if I was concerned ask the body shop to have it checked and if it was off, then it would be fixed. Dropped the car off last Friday at the body shop and they told me it should be done on Tuesday as it was basically a sand and respray on the bumper cover.

Tuesday comes and goes and the body shop calls me on Wednesday saying they need to get approval from State farm as it required a little more labor than the $500 estimate State Farm did and it would be another day or so because of that. I didn't care as I have a rental care State Farm is paying for. I asked about the alignment and they told me State Farm would not pay for it.

5 or 6 phone calls later with State Farm arguing with them over what amounts to less than $100 for an alignment and they told me that the body shop drove the car and told them the alignment was fine. How driving the car proves the alignment meets specs is beyond me. I did not know that you can tell if Toe or caster or Camber is not off by a few 10th of a degree by driving.

All this time I was just asking that it be checked and IF the alignment was off that it be fixed.

Now it is Friday morning, I am still fighting with State Farm , they tell me that if I get it checked and if it needs to be aligned and I pay for it I can submit the receipt for reimbursement.. Finally I get a call back from a manager and explain that if they don't do the right thing now, get the alignment checked and corrected if needed that their actions will force me to retain an attorney and at the end of the day will cost them way more than the $100 for the alignment.

They tell me they will call the body shop and discuss it with them and get back to me whether or not they will pay for an alignment check/repair. An hour or so later I get a call from the body shop and they tell me State Farm approved the alignment, but the car won't be ready to pickup until Monday as they can't get the alignment done until Monday as it was too late in the day to get it taken care of. Had they gotten the approval even as late as mid morning , it would have been done today.

So the end result is State Farm will pay the $100 for they alignment and on top of that 3 more days of car rental. I guess trying to save $100, cost them $250 as the rental car is around $50/day.

Pretty smart, huh?

So we will get the car back on Monday and my wife and I have a few more weeks of PT. I can't wait to negotiate the settlement once we are both healthy again. Might just have to retain an attorney after all.

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-21-2015 at 02:00 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

Garage
I am sorry to hear about your experience. Good to hear that you stood your ground. It takes Persistence and is no fun, but that's sadly what it takes to get what you deserve in the first place with insurance companies.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

If you are making a claim, I suggest you don't write about it on the internet. I'm an attorney and I always look for posts on the internets related to lawsuits I have. You'd be surprised what people write that can be very damaging for their claims.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
If you are making a claim, I suggest you don't write about it on the internet. I'm an attorney and I always look for posts on the internets related to lawsuits I have. You'd be surprised what people write that can be very damaging for their claims.
Yes, that probably is often the case,people say stupid things, however I wrote nothing but the truth and have told State Farm the exact same thing.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I am currently dealing with State Farm after being rear ended by one of their insured. It has taken several calls and perseverance to keep them moving. I initially took it to one of their preferred repair shops and the guy wasn't sure what to do with it. The vehicle is a 3/4 ton service body truck. He was sure they would have to replace the whole service bed. All it needs is a new bumper and a little touch up. I found a shop that the bed manufacture recommended. It is in the shop now and and the estimate is north of 4 grand. Their adjuster called me up the other day and started arguing with me about some detail and I suggested that maybe they should send out one of their people to actually look at the truck. It has been +/- 8 weeks since the accident and State Farm still hasn't actually seen the truck. No injuries. I hope they take 8 more weeks. State Farm is paying for the brand new Dodge Hemi crew cab rental.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
If you are injured at all from being hit from behind, I know a really good PI attorney in LA

Don't let State farm give you the run around
Also, you do not have to complete or sign the releases and accident info documents they send you
They imply that they are required and they are not at all. If you question them on them they will say you don't need to do them
I especially did not like their "Medical info release" as it basically would allow them to go back as far as they want in your medical history. All they have to say is it is related to any injuries from the accident and the can snoop as much as they waant

Last edited by JayG; 08-22-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
No harm, no foul and nobody is bleeding. Plus I don't want to give the rental back.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Thats a good thing
Old 08-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #9

I hit a deer last November with my wife's 2005 BMW 325 xi. State Farm did a wonderful job paying the claim. The body shop I go to got them to replace everything that needed it, as well as the windshield washer fluid reservoir, which started leaking a month after the car was out of the body shop.
I also crashed a 1993 Honda CBR900RR motorcycle years ago, and State Farm paid me to make it like new again. I was even able to order the parts from Honda and do all the work myself, since there's no Honda dealer where I live.
No problems with State Farm (yet )!

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote