Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #1

Shifting Down vs. Braking

I know you shouldn't shift down regularly with an automatic transmission but is it OK to do so with a standard? Can you essentially work down the gears like you worked up to help save your brakes? I for instance like to shift into second to slow instead of working the brakes but rarely shift into first. Thoughts???

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #2

Should be fine... but replacing the brake componants is cheaper than a new transmission
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #3

as long as you blip the throttle on downshift, you're fine. if you don't match revs, you put reverse torque on the clutch. they're not designed for that and it will wear them out quickly. learn to heal and toe.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Like was said above, the brake pads are cheaper to replace than the clutch, which do you want to replace?

It is good for the brakes, clutch and fuel economy to drive smoothly and slow down as much as possible by leaving the car in gear and letting it coast to slow it down. Just leave yourself room from the car in front of you and you can do alot to prolong the life of your brake pads. This also gives you reaction time to just let off the gas instead of hitting the brakes when the car in front of you hits it's brakes to make minor adjustments in speed. The smoother you are, the more your car will apperciate you.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #5

Hi,

To many people, it's the real life manifestation of sitting in the Car, Ignition Off, and going VROOM-VROOM! Most do it simply because they think it sounds Cool...

Whether you Blip the Throttle and match Revs or not, you're causing greater wear to the Clutch, Synchros, CV Joints, etc. than is absolutely necessary, and as mentioned, it's not only cheaper, but also easier to replace the Brake Components than the Driveline ones.

In an Emergency, by all means use Engine Braking - throw out a Boat Anchor if you have one. Likewise if there's some Fancy Birds on the Corner...

But, in Day-to-Day Driving, it's better to anticipate your Stops, remain in the Gear you're in momentarily to bleed off some energy, then shift to Neutral and let the Brakes haul you down to a Stop... (You can VROOM-VROOM all you want in the Privacy of your own Garage)

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #6

In an Emergency, by all means use Engine Braking - throw out a Boat Anchor if you have one. Likewise if there's some Fancy Birds on the Corner...

That is awesome ................ Prefect MN

:dance:
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

And PLEASE don't hold the clutch in at a stop light.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #8

Downshifting just to save your brakes is stupid. Downshifting because you like to downshift is simply your perogative. If you choose not to downshift, you definately need to time your stops. Shifting into neutral isn't necessarily a good idea (well - at least in Colorado in the Mountains). Downshifting is certainly acceptable on the hills where you can save your brakes from overheating by using engine braking to hold your speed.

I grew up on the whole "work the gears and downshift thingee" and I haven't seen extreme clutch wear with previous vehicles. However, the Boxster does seem to eat clutches quite a bit more than any other vehicle I've had. Perhaps it's that insanely long "take-up".

Bottom line is it's your dime. If you enjoy it and you don't mind the potential cost -who cares?

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #9

As mentioned ealier using the engine to slow down is fine as long as you match the revs otherwise you are just wearing out the clutch disc rather than the brake pads.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:31 PM   #10

If your talking about using the engine to brake, dont. The brakes are used for braking, the only time the engine would be used to brake is if the brakes were at risk of or already have overheated. Otherwise it would be stupid, and judging by the stock brembos, you should be fine. Profesional drivers always use just the brakes when braking and entering corners. The revs heard are from a heel-toe downshift or rev matching as stated above.
TanDaMan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:38 AM   #11

I prefer to downshift..always within proper rpm range..my box has only 24K miles but my other car has 125,000 miles..never replaced the original clutch or transmission...yes, I know its cheaper to replace brakes, but just my personal preference.....
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:06 AM   #12

I am a long-time heel-and-toe driver, and I've had the clutch go for well over 100k on my Integra. And I drove that car like it was on a race track. I'm at about 55k on the Boxster, and I've heard of clutches going at lower mileage than that so ymmv...

I sometimes run down the gears - you would on the track - but usually it's just one change down, matching revs. You should not let the engine be the sole source of braking force as this does stress the engine .

BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote