Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to mariosp
fuel pump relay or DME relay

Hello guys!

As I reading on the internet about Boxsters I came across to the below information and I would kindly ask your advice on that...

Did all of you have changed that relay? Where is that? is that any manual online? DIY?

"Replace your relay.

A common failure on older Porsche is the fuel pump relay or DME relay. This is important for all you 996, 993, 964 and Carrera 3.2 owners. Check in your handbook for the location, then pull the relay out and check the age (printed on the relay).. I have just removed one from an 89 911 that was the original part. In this case nothing wrong with it but for little money well worth replacing now. When they fail the car won't run and you will have no warning. Replace yours now if its over 5 years old."

mariosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Well, there's a lot of relays in the trunk (left side, rear over fender) and around the fuel pump relay. Unless it's bad I wouldn't swap working parts. Maybe keep one around if parts are scarce there but yes it will leave you stranded and no, it's not a daily occurrence. I'd be more concerned with water pump or belt or AOS condition.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #3

Out of 25 I've had the pleasure of owning, not one had a relay problem. I agree with Timco. Mostly the water pump and maybe the motor mount too.