Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Name_is_Dan View Post
Good point on driving both the 986 & 987 cars. Going to be hard to do in my immediate area. Not much around here to choose from, which is a shame. The "S" cars are even less available, which relegates me to having to drive 2-4 hours to find those specimens. I am going to have to be patient in my pursuit of the right car.
A question you might want to ask yourself with so few cars locally is who is going to service the car?

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #22

I would be doing my own servicing and maintenance. There is not much I can't do. Now, granted, I haven't split the cases on these engines, but its not rocket science. BTW, we do have a local Porsche dealer and there are a couple of independents that are good, but I prefer to turn my own wrenches - unless it has a warranty - and then its hands off until the warranty expires.
My_Name_is_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Name_is_Dan View Post
I would be doing my own servicing and maintenance. There is not much I can't do. Now, granted, I haven't split the cases on these engines, but its not rocket science. BTW, we do have a local Porsche dealer and there are a couple of independents that are good, but I prefer to turn my own wrenches - unless it has a warranty - and then its hands off until the warranty expires.
^ Okay now I get it. This explains owning an 850i....

You should look into attending some of Jake Raby's classes. Sounds like you've met your perfect engine.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #24

Yeah - I've been around the block a few times. It took me almost 3 years to finish the 850i (I took my sweet time, of course). Now, this is not meant that I want to do it again anytime soon! Certainly not looking to rebuild a Boxster engine.

V12 lusciousness…

Last edited by My_Name_is_Dan; 08-12-2015 at 03:09 PM.
My_Name_is_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:15 AM   #25
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Odd as it is, the 987 (to me) is easier to get in and out of over the 986 (may also have to do with the slight reshaping of the side windows). It also has a touch more footroom on the driver's side dead pedal.

The 987 does have higher quality in terms of materials on the base interiors, and does feel a bit more lux. Seats are about the same in terms of comfort (IMO). The interior lighting is white instead of amber as in the 986, the on-board computer is standard (might be wrong though), and more options were available more often (such as interior/exterior auto-dimming mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, heated seats, etc).

BTW, love the 850, gorgeous car.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote