Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 04:21 AM   #1

Garage
engine lift hook

Saw on You Tube someone removing a 986 engine using a simple engine hoist lifting a Porsche "engine lift hook". Anyone know if these hooks are accessories or already installed on each engine?

BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There is already a lift point/loop installed. Look at the oddly shaped metal ring to the left of the throttle body in this picture.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #3

That loop is used to hold up the engine if you are removing just the gear box. To remove the engine from the car, you have to do it the old fashioned way, drop it down.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #4

Garage
I was most interested because I am considering buying a used 3.2 off Ebay. When shows up, that lift point would make it really easy to move it. So they are installed on all 3.2L engines at the factory?
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Yes. Standard issue.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLEG View Post
I was most interested because I am considering buying a used 3.2 off Ebay. When shows up, that lift point would make it really easy to move it. So they are installed on all 3.2L engines at the factory?
Keep in mind the pictured lift point is at the rear of the engine, so it is not balanced at all. It also doesn't look real strong to me. As mentioned, it is intended to be a way of supporting the rear of the engine while pulling the trans. You will need to come up with a front lift point, so you can lift at front and rear, to lift the engine while keeping it level. I attached to one of the bolts that holds the front engine mount, although the lift chain put some stress on the front of the pulleys - probably not ideal.

spendy is offline   Reply With Quote